Server Devs - How much is reasonable?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
We got approval to start a mini-pilot project on hiring a few freelance/ regular offshore developers. PHP, python mostly.

What are people paying these days on odesk and elance for this type of stuff?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've been doing this for 17 years, and use various freelance sites occasionally when my guys can't get something done or we need more hands for ASAP turn around.

It depends drastically where you shop (ie: which country).

$10-$100/hr for php and python devs that are GOOD, know GOOD ENGLISH, and know wtf they're doing. I know some people who hire the CHEAPEST outsourced labor 4-8$hr devs for projects that just need to "WORK" to turn a profit. So, it really depends on your needs too.

If you don't have an experienced developer managing the "cheap" freelancers they are, imho, not really wroth it due to the corrections needed more often than not. It would seem many developers learn the "technical" side but don't study any of the "why" so while they can do Task A, asking them for their input/thoughts/opinions etc is hard to find, and this is even more-so in Asian cultures/countries. I don't mean to stereotype but they're just less likely to state their opinion, even airline studies found this doing crash studies.

With that said there are what I call 2 types of developers. Those who love it, do it, live it and continue to grow. Those who like it, but only learn the technical part, and when their day-job is over they're washing their hands of code to never think of it until the next work day. You hire what you need based on who's managing them, and how good you are at writing project specifications.

I find $25-35 will get you someone in the US who's mid-level. I've paid up to 100/hr for very experienced developers, they're normally 2-3x as fast, and have a brain that can solve problems.

Again, unless this is your field you really are going to have a hard time, and could cost more in long run vs local hire. You could have someone help you hire based on your needs or use one of the many 3rd-party out sourcing agencies for help. They're popping up all over last few years.

FWIW: I like to give my dev. applicants a "test" with 3 questions. They're technical but also shows their problem solving abilities and how they code to solve the issue which reveals their thought process and style of coding.

Hope that helps.

Depending on what you need too, I'd gladly bid the project.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I found the challenge of discussion and setup of a project to be to large of a scope for my little brain at any rate from india'ish developers. Just wasn't worth it in the end, ended up doing it myself!

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, you really need to spend a lot of time writing the project out IN DETAIL of what it does. As a developer I take that a step further and instruct them how to create their mysql tables, database schema, how I want the code to flow, how I expect performance of XYZ, etc. I've had clients ask me flat out "can you outsource for cheaper" as they think $4/hr is just $4/hr and you're done.. LOL

I've been hired as an outsource consultant even for large projects where companies need someone that "knows" what's going on more-so than big picture management ONLY. I think there's a niche consulting gig out there for people who know the tech/code + know business and how to talk to non-tech C level guys. When working with the unique businesses that don't have an office, or travel or are 1 or 2 man shows, etc...