Server/CPU recommendations for ESXi host for Blue Iris, Linux media/file/web server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itm

Feb 28, 2022
I currently run an ESXi 6.7.0 host with 3 guest VM's:

- Windows Server 2022 running Blue Iris NVR (v5)

- Lubuntu 20 for Logitech Media Server, Plex Media server, Home Assistant, VPN, Mediawiki, Web Server and file server

- Windows 10 for PVR software & general testbed environment.

My current hardware is a HP Microserver Gen 8 with Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2 2.5 GHz, 16GB RAM.

While the performance is just about OK, RAM cannot be upgraded beyond 16GB, and I'd like to at least double that.

Can anyone recommend a good upgrade which has onboard graphics to support Blue Iris, and which will support at least 32GB RAM? I'm probably looking at used hardware. Budget not fixed, but probably up to £500-1K.

I'd also really like something with lights-out remote access. My server is in the attic, and I frequently use iLo to reboot it when necessary, or simply to get access to the console.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
If you don't need a lot of direct attached storage, something like a lenovo/dell/hp tiny with vPro for remote control could work, support 32-64gb of ram, and have an I7 or i5 with quicksync. If you need the 4x 3.5" drives, something like a P330 SFF, again with quicksync and vPro would work. You would need a display dummy plug/monitor emulator plugged in.

itm

Feb 28, 2022
If you don't need a lot of direct attached storage, something like a lenovo/dell/hp tiny with vPro for remote control could work, support 32-64gb of ram, and have an I7 or i5 with quicksync. If you need the 4x 3.5" drives, something like a P330 SFF, again with quicksync and vPro would work. You would need a display dummy plug/monitor emulator plugged in.
Actually I do have a need for direct attached storage, as I use this as a file server for backups. The HP Microserver Gen8 was ideal with 4 drive bays.
Would the i7/i5 be an improvement over the Xeon E3-1265L V2 as a multi-tasking ESXi host? Blue Iris in particular is particularly CPU-intensive.