Server case caught on fire... Can parts be reused?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Wow... people still buy them?

I spent quite a bit of time working out the current loadings for my new workstation build and ended up buying SATA connectors to add to the existing PSU wiring. I also made molex to Sata adaptors as I ran out of connections on the PSU. Molex can take roughly 11amps per pin - Sata can carry 1.5amps per pin and they are grouped into sets of 3 to carry 4.5amps.

These adaptors are either faulty from the factory or seriously under spec so as not to be able to drive a hard drive - scary! I hope my home made ones last better than that!

Steve

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Wow this is concerning, I'm sure a few of my builds have these types of splitters in use!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Amphenol branded power connectors
If I could only buy SFF 8643 to 8639 Amphenol cables easily :-/

Was this 100% a power connector issue? What PSU is that? Is it the standard PSU cable?

herby

Aug 18, 2013

Was this 100% a power connector issue? What PSU is that? Is it the standard PSU cable?
I'm ashamed to admit I've only known that brand name for about a month. I started noticing that a lot of Supermicro cables were made by or at least had Amphenol connectors.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013

This was the power connector issue. The power supply wasn't burnt, just covered in dust.

The cable was a modular cable connecting PSU to the splitter.

I have another cable for the other SATA drives.