Server cabinet with swing frame

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Looking for a (new to me, used ) second server cabinet and found one with a swing frame.
Just wondering whether that's safe enough to use for 3 x 846's and a bunch of smaller stuff ? What about an UPS?
The current Rittal's 'only' support weight up to 150 KGs, but the previous owner said he had it full of stuff inc 5 servers and didn't have an issue with it

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'd be very nervous going over the limit by much. At the end of the day how much are the savings over a solution that is qualified to handle the load worth compared to the risk of losing all your gear? Most certainly these are engineered to handle more than the rated load, but you're only warning that you're getting to the actual limit will be when something starts to go wrong.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Thats why I am looking for comments - I don't have the model number of that particular cabinet so I can't really say whether its the same rating or maybe even less...

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
With server racks, you want to make sure the depth is sufficient to mount your equipment. Found out the hard way but was lucky to offload it without any loss. Look for ones that are about 1000mm / 40" deep. That gives you enough clearance for cable management etc even with deep chassis like Dell C6100. They are built to carry the weight.

Not sure where you are located but here in US, keep a watch on local Craigslist alert they can be had for really great prices. Requires patience. I got a practically new 24u Tripp-lite full depth one for $150 from a company that was down sizing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes I know, will have to measure my boxes. Had to 'extend' my old one b/c it was too short for some servers;). That o/c wouldnt work with that swing frame.
And there are plenty of offers over here (EU) as well if you can pick them up. Just that swing frame was new to me ...
But no particular need to take that one.
Just thinking about moving the stuff out of the basement in time for summer, the wifey was complaining about the heat last year;)