Server 2016 licencing changes?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RandyC

Mar 1, 2014
Portland, OR
This might be a good thing for homelabs.

If I can get a single 2 CPU license for a VM at 1/8th the cost, that would be nice. I don't think it will be like that though.

But another idea I read in the comments of that article:
Use a single Server 2016 Datacenter license on a single ESXi host, and run unlimited Windows virtual machines. So long as you have less then 2 sockets and 8 physical cores per socket.

So I have a c6100 with dual L5520, to run Server 2016 Datacenter it would use 4 licenses. (2 cpu socekts, 8 cores total.). - Never mind, Server 2012 R2 Datacenter is $5,000.

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011
Minimum license is 8 cores per socket (so 4 license packs). If you have an 8 core processor, your cost would be the same as it was for Server 2012 R2. Anything more than 8 cores is going to be more expensive.

If anything, they need to get rid of the server CAL. If you're already paying per socket / core to license the server, you should NOT have to pay to have users access it.

Diavuno

Minimum license is 8 cores per socket (so 4 license packs). If you have an 8 core processor, your cost would be the same as it was for Server 2012 R2. Anything more than 8 cores is going to be more expensive.

If anything, they need to get rid of the server CAL. If you're already paying per socket / core to license the server, you should NOT have to pay to have users access it.
It does make sense to charge for both.

I have 2 clients in the same business park.
One has 4 servers, each a quad core+ xeon. only used for LDAP.
The other has a single server running on a core 2 quad that is a full Domain environment for ~90 users.

Two totally different uses, and totally different costs. While I agree that cals are a bit pricy pers seat it's not horrible.

-I'll note here: I just got these clients, based on budget I'll be fixing many things.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Hmm, dunno if I am sold on it.

With the advent of more and more things moving to the cloud, the need for big servers is decreasing thus smaller systems are becoming more of the norm.
I spose it will help those in the above situation but then again, the way M$ keeps over-complicating their licensing and arse-raping us with their prices, I see more moving to Linux/Unix and give the bird to M$.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I am really disappointed that storage spaces direct is only on datacenter. It would now cost me $24,000 retail price to run a four node hyper converged setup at home....that really sucks. It's a hard pill to swallow at that price. Scaleio may be a better option depending on how well it works in comparison. I make these statements as a home user, where I can use scaleio for free for personal use. I have no point of reference as to enterprise costs for either at large scale but again not my use case.

As a side note sequential speeds of s2d were pretty darn fantastic when I tested them over the weekend. Hit 23 gigabytes per second reads on an 8 column simple spaces with two nodes and 4 nvme drives each. Reads at roughly 9-10 gigabytes per second use 4 56gb infiniband ports (running at 32gb ea due to Voltaire switch they plugged into). At least from what I have seen with scaleio it really does scale so we will see.

Reactions: Naeblis

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
S2D is not just in DataCenter... there is a SKU that will allow you to create a S2D configuration...

Chris

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
S2D is not just in DataCenter... there is a SKU that will allow you to create a S2D configuration...

Chris
Well shoot, I tried digging up that info and couldn't find it. Actually just the opposite a lot of the postings on how annoyed people wear that is going to cost a fortune to use storage spaces Direct. Even some mention of no s2d sku. I'm really hoping/glad I'm wrong! Don't suppose you can share any info on the s2d sku/cost?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Not related to Server 2016 at all - but if you want to run a hyper-converged setup at home there are other options too. I've got a quad-node hyper-converged setup in my basement now, running oVirt + GlusterFS - its not just free for home use, its free for commercial use as well. Built from all the upstream open-source projects behind the RedHat virtualization stack.