Serious problem esxi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
if this is a home setup and not overly important staf, why not just bite the bullet and try Proxmox on it.
Hyper-V can be expensive unless you already have the licenses, even if you run Free Core setup
you need licenses for client.
you already have the bas hardware, try putting Proxmox on it.
it is a base Linux Debian so it should work with software raid.
if not you can build out a software raid on it if you want. (you do not need to run ZFS in Proxmox, it supported and you can even do a bootable ZFS raid right from installer if you want, but you do not need to run use it.)
as it is a basic Linux you can do lots of things on the host that ESXi will not let you do anyway.
it is also KVM based, again , many things are built in and very well supported by the system.
And you may not have to buy new and expensive hardware in addition to what you already have.
furthermore, Proxmox VE 4.3+ have great support for HA clusters.
My only issues is that I have lots of VMS in esxi. And how can I backup proxmox.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Sorry, I thought this was a new build. I am sure that you can backup proxmox similarly to esxi.
And if needs be esxi vms can be converted as well l.
Will it work for you?
Only you can say.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Sorry, I thought this was a new build. I am sure that you can backup proxmox similarly to esxi.
And if needs be esxi vms can be converted as well l.
Will it work for you?
Only you can say.

I will try it. This vsan I cannot use. It needs to be licence. I taught it was included. Thank you for the proxmox idea.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
You are welcome, I am kind of in the process of building out my server,so doing research of my own.
I am kind of in a tight spot myself right now.
I have only one box, so I need, an absolute must have, a storage and VM server on one box setup.

ESXi and Proxmox are primary candidates, but I lean towards Proxmox more because it is a regular Linux distro so I can manage it more easily than ESXi. also the hardware support is better, and with some workaround I can build a VM server + DAS configuration , where ESXi is limiting in this area.
as it is a proprietary kernel. yes it makes the passthrough easier but that is it.

Last edited:

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I will start learning open source tools. I don't see the need to give money to VMware and Microsoft in the future. I rather spent it on hardware.