Sensibility of my Define R4 NAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mozzarellathicc

Feb 7, 2023
I tried to purchase a used Fractal Design Define R5 (~$50) for use as my first NAS, and, long story short, got home to realize it was the Fractal Design Define R4. It's missing the middle 5-bay cage and two of the bottom cage drive trays. I haven't been able to find replacements anywhere so far. F.D. doesn't stock those parts anymore.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here since you can't really make a NAS with one HDD slot. I can maybe fit the unused 3-tray drive cage from my old Lancool Mesh II into the ~5.25" optical drive bay; but, that seems like more of a standard PC case anyway.

Someone on Reddit offered their R5 drive cage + trays for $25+shipping. It's a consideration if those will fit the R4.

Is it sensible to put more money into this case though? It feels like the better option might be to take the loss and buy a new case. The Define R4 could potentially be made into backup storage eventually. It's just a frustrating situation.

Any advice on what to do or how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

mophk

Dec 28, 2020
tbh, I find the r4 better than the r5. The cages imho better, but you do you.