Seeking recommendation for core switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gboisvert

Aug 18, 2020
Hi!

I'm seeking advice for core switches that could be bought for a fair price on ebay to serve as core switches. I saw EdgeCore AS7312 on ebay but i'm not sure it can run Sonic... Speed 10/40 is acceptable if 25/100 it too exepensive.

Features i need: Basic L2, ECMP/OSPF (and MLAG would be great)

iGene

Jun 15, 2014
Taiwan
Hi,

My friend at Edgecore said it’s better not to buy Edgecore switches on ebay unless you are sure that there’s a working OS with them
For AS7312, you can probably make SONiC work on it as it’s using a tomahawk chip. However, it’s not tested and no one can guarantee it will work.

I would suggest looking for 10/40g switches as 25/100g switches is too expensive now.
I’ve managed to found some 7060CX-32S 100g switches around 1400USD last year but they’re all gone now.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Although it was mentioned its not that cheap it’s not any different than iGene’s suggestion.
Cisco 9236c and it has sonic support (official I believe)
I still think some cheap ones should be around. After all they don’t support macsec and a lot of people will upgrade to 9336-fx2’s to get macsec support.

gboisvert

Aug 18, 2020
Thanks guys for your suggestions, highly appreciated. This is the hard part with those SDN switches: Software stack / compatibility. Cumulus / PicOS / Etc are too expensive for most SMBs. Not only that, you have to take into account SFP+ / QSFP+ compatibility, which is another challenge when searching for a switch. I found BISDN Linux for our AS4610-54P which looks promising for access layer. BISDN Linux

gboisvert

Aug 18, 2020
BISDN Linux confirmed to work. It comes with baseboxd, a lightweight SDN controller that runs on the switch if you don't want to use external SDN controller. Has FRR for routing. Had to add a command that runs at every boot to enable PoE, using systemd.

Github: BISDN baseboxd

thadrumr

Aug 25, 2019
BISDN Linux confirmed to work. It comes with baseboxd, a lightweight SDN controller that runs on the switch if you don't want to use external SDN controller. Has FRR for routing. Had to add a command that runs at every boot to enable PoE, using systemd.

Github: BISDN baseboxd
I was able to get POE to persist with a Systemd service. Have you figured out how to create interface descriptions that will come through SNMP? Sorry to dredge up an old thread I just got an edge-core AS4610-54P.

Last edited: