EU Seagate Constellation.2 ST91000640NS 1TB SATA HDD 2,5" 80€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tim

Nov 7, 2012
Sorry for being a bit off topic for a moment here.
But what's the common view on Seagate quality on this forum?
On a few other forums (and my own experience with them) they fail too often.
Granted, my experience is with consumer sata drives.

Is it "safer" to use these enterprise disks?
Or does the majority of you prefer HGST?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Sorry for being a bit off topic for a moment here.
But what's the common view on Seagate quality on this forum?
On a few other forums (and my own experience with them) they fail too often.
Granted, my experience is with consumer sata drives.

Is it "safer" to use these enterprise disks?
Or does the majority of you prefer HGST?
Careful what you say....small war's have been caused over less :D

That being said, everyone has their sweetheart brand and mine just happens to be HGST. I jumped ship from what was then Hitachi and favoured WD branded disks for a long time because of pricing. But I got bitten once too often years ago and went back to using what had become HGST after the IBM merger. I took a sharp intake of breath when WD acquired them later. Now that WD no longer needs to maintain them as separate subsidiaries and have begun integrating both under the WD name, it will be interesting to see what happens next. If the HGST brand survives and maintains its proven reliability for me, I'm quite happy to continue using their products.

Seagate were, once upon a time, manufacturing good reliable disks, and must still be doing so to some extent or they wouldn't still be around today, but imo the quality is simply not up there anymore. That's not to say you won't get a reliable one from them though, I have seen some Seagate disks survive way past their normal life span despite taking real abuse their whole life, but in my experience it's usually the other way round and they fail early on in their life cycle :)

In terms of "safer", there is no safe magnetic media. Just run a degaussing coil over the top of your disks to see what I mean. Using any enterprise level disk that is designed and mechanically engineered for 24/7 operation, will likely always be more reliable in the long run, over a disk built for consumer level use. At least the odds are firmly in favour of that, all other factors being equal of course. The real race isn't spinning disks anymore anyway, those days are well and truly numbered. The race now is to produce large capacity disks in lightning fast flash, or some newer technology, that has high endurance and is affordable by the masses :)

Tim

Nov 7, 2012
Careful what you say....small war's have been caused over less :D
I hear you, I've no intention to start anything.
Just wanted to know if there was any significant difference between consumer and enterprise Seagate disks.
Anyway, better or worse, backup is the key to prevent data loss.
Dying disks is still an hassle so would like to avoid that as much as possible.

On topic, ssd for mass storage is a bit expensive at the moment.
But I might reconsider in the next 6 months.
These disks seems to be fair value at $70.