Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 External HDD $149.99 FREESHIP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Scout255

Feb 12, 2013
Quite a few people have cracked these open to find 7200 RPM Baracuda's inside. When they check the serial numbers on the drives, they show up as being in warranty. Of course, your milage may vary....

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Any info regarding if the warranty follows the drive or the enclosure?
In my experience with Seagate externals as well as reading the experiences of others it seems there is a tendency for it to follow the drive, definitely more so than other brands. Some people are reporting a 3yr warranty on the internal disk in this 4TB Backup Plus model.

But I guess there's never a guarantee. When I've found a specific model of external that has the warranty on the internal drive I just keep buying that model -- example the STBV3000100 - I think I'm up to about 36 of those, 100% had warranty on the internal disk (a ST3000DM001). Theyve been excellent drives and have renewed my interest in Seagate after a long period of avoiding them.

Take the drive out, check the warranty, worst case you have to keep the empty case in the garage in case the drive dies.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Costco does extend your warranty (use costco AMEX too) so just put it all back together when it dies ;)

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Just got home and opened all my goodies. Anyone figured out how to open these cases yet without destroying them?

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
there really is no great science to pulling the case apart -- flat instrument like a putty knife, chisel, or last resort flathead screwdriver to pry the clamshell apart beginning at one end, keep running the instrument along creating a space so the tabs release, and finally once you've got it open there are four rubber feet covering the screws - pry those off and unscrew and thats pretty much it.

back when I was ordering 8 of the STBV3000100's at a time I'd be able to crank the whole set out in 20 minutes

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Finally got the first one open.

Checked the warranty on seagate.com and looks like the internal drive is covered.