SDR editing for a quiet Intel S2600IP4 in a P4000 chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I have looked through all the write ups on this forum about editing the SDR file to quiet down the server. I bought this Intel server with the motherboard and P4000 chassis, and the update does not not allow me to recognise it as anything else.

Would anyone have a modified sdr file for the exact combination or something close to it that they can share?
I have already enabled open loop and for acoustic in the BIOS settings. It helps but its still too loud, even without any harddrives in there.

much thanks

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
this was posted in another thread but it might help you get started with the sdr hacking. it goign to be trail and error so be patient.

for those still looking to modify sdr files, I wanted to share what i found to resolve my intel server crazy fan profile.
I got a R2312GL4GS server. I proceeded to update the latest firmware and run fdrutil. after which the BMC decided to run my fans at 5k at idle. I was like nooooooo.

So after playing with it i found where to modify in the sdr file for the stock fans in the case.
Search for the following section :Global Step Curve Records
I modified the section Global Stepwise Curve Record, below is my current settings. I did a find and replace for the whole line i was changing. It changed it in 3 places for me. but you can see i dropped the values for fan percentage way below the % listed. IE 30% is really 15% now.

Any changes you want to make sure of thermals afterwards. I ran the server with prime95 for 20 mins watching the temps sensors. At some point it leveled off at 5k fan speed with prime running full cores. That was a lot better then idling at 5k and spinning higher when doing mid level cpu usage. I keep the servers in general area in main living room and at 5k idling it was driving me nuts.

YMMV but if you are having this issue keep playing with sdr file, you'll find the section you need to edit eventually!!!

Code:
// Global Step Curve Records
//====================================================================//
_SDR_TYPE   C0
_REC_LEN    0017

// Sensor Record Header
   F700           // Record ID
   51             // SDR Version
   C0             // Record Type
   12             // Record Length

// Record Body Bytes
   570100         // Manufacturer ID
   0C             // Record Subtype Value (Fan Speed Control SDR Record)
   02             // FSC version 2
   02             // FSC Record Type (Global Stepwise Curve Record)

// Global Stepwise Curve Record
   00             // Stepwise Curve ID
   05             // Domain max and count
   0F             //  15C
   0F             //  30%
   19             //  25C
   14             //  35%
   23             //  35C
   1E             //  50%
   28             //  40C
   32             //  75%
   2D             //  45C
   64             //  100%

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks Marcoi,
I have edited the Global Step Curve Records , but the fans still seem to run loud (less so than before). All the temperatures are well within the lower limits. Is there anything else I can do to lower the noise?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
After much effort and trying all kinds of editing on the sdr file, I finally figured it out why my P4000 chassis was still blowing hard and loud.

You have to PLUG in BOTH the PSUs! Even if it works only with one, or it will "compensate" . Its nice and quiet now after pluggin both PSUs in and editing the Global Step Curve Records