Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B on Supermicro Motherboards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
I just picked up another 6027R-E1R12L and to my surprise it came with an X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD, E5-2620v2 cpu and 32gb of EEC ram. I thought I was getting a great price for a barebones with the SAS2 backplane and dual PWS-920P-SQ PSUs so the rest was a nice bonus. I wasn't having much luck changing the IPMI fan settings until after I upgraded the BMC and BIOS and then it would save the changes. That made a huge difference the fans went from rocket ship to fairly quiet. But since this goes in the rack next to my desk I still need to quiet down the three 80mm fans in the middle fan wall (V80E12BHA5-57 which seems to be the FAN-0126L4). Most of my options move less air and have significantly less static pressure. So that means changing out the passive heat sinks on this (SNK-P0048PS) with active ones. They just need to be quiet, so here's my question.

I have a friend that has an older X8 supermicro Mobo and she was able to install the Big Shuriken 2 on it. But the back plate could potentially cause problems on some motherboards so I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience using these on a 2U case and/or this motherboard (or similar).

anyway thank you for your time!