Screwed Up Motherboard Purchase--SC846 and EE-ATX!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Finally getting around to putting together a new build based on the Supermicro 4u SC-846TQ and a Supermicro x10DRi-T4+ motherboard after getting all the parts and realized there's a difference between E-ATX and EE-ATX. I'm an idiot. There are stand off holes available to fit most of the motherboard but save the right hand side (facing front of chassis) along the mid to back section of the motherboard. There are also a few permanent stand offs that don't line up and I'm afraid would create a short.

Has anyone ever done a modification to make this work? I'm not completely tool inept but am in no way a super handy guy. I'm thinking perhaps a dremel to remove the fixed standoffs and a plastic option (not sure what) to add edge support for the mobo? Can I drill a small hole and gorilla glue in a stand off? :D Or should I just bite the bullet, eat the mobo cost and get another x10 that is E-ATX and would fit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
rather that cut off the standoff completely (which would remove them for a potential upgrade down the road) you might be able to reduce the height by a couple of MM (or say a standard washer increment) and then use a non-conductive surface for the top of the standoff now and then can washer them back to height if you need to use them again.. For the missing ones, if you feel they are needed for support you might just use old style plastic standoffs and not affix them to the motherboard tray. thus keeping the board from flexing down though you could drill and tap and then find some screw on standoffs that are the correct height (or slightly too tall and then file them down to the correct height) and file off the threaded part so it is flush with the bottom. If you are not married to this motherboard you could also look for a SM Dual EATX board e.g. X10Dri, X10Drh...

Reactions: safado

safado

Aug 21, 2020
rather that cut off the standoff completely (which would remove them for a potential upgrade down the road) you might be able to reduce the height by a couple of MM (or say a standard washer increment) and then use a non-conductive surface for the top of the standoff now and then can washer them back to height if you need to use them again.. For the missing ones, if you feel they are needed for support you might just use old style plastic standoffs and not affix them to the motherboard tray. thus keeping the board from flexing down though you could drill and tap and then find some screw on standoffs that are the correct height (or slightly too tall and then file them down to the correct height) and file off the threaded part so it is flush with the bottom. If you are not married to this motherboard you could also look for a SM Dual EATX board e.g. X10Dri, X10Drh...
Thank you very much for the thoughts! Not sure why I never considered just slapping some electrical tape over the top of the permanent mounts. I sincerely appreciate your feedback—thank you so much!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm confused, that chassis is made for EE-ATX and E-ATX ?

" 4U chassis support for max. motherboard size - EE-ATX (13.68" x 13"), E-ATX (12" x 13"), ATX (12" x 10") "

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
If you try to mod your case I'd recommend you to fit every non-standard holes with nylon standoffs. I have a x9dri-ln4f in an Enthoo Pro case and it really helps to prevent bending when I install components. You can also apply a little drip not so fast drying paint on these so you can get exact drilling markers in case you want to add some real standoffs. I did this to prevent flexing due to the weight of the heatsinks.

I used these, If I had to do it again I'd use the M3 ones instead. Just be sure to measure your standoff height and don't fit any in holes where the backplane has an inward "bump"
Edit: Missed the similar recommendation from itronin.

Last edited:
Reactions: safado