Scammers using Ebay and Amazon Elastic Cloud service

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I thought to post here as many people use this forum to source great deals.

Media sources are reporting scammers using 'triangular' fraud techniques on these platforms that are difficult to detect.

• Scammers advertise goods at lower cost (typically 30% less) and buyer places order.
  • Scammers use (someone else's) stolen credit card details to purchase goods from another retailer and have goods shipped to original buyer. Buyers get the goods they order and do not pay close attention to the details.
  • Scammers pocket the purchase price.
  • Scammers can go on to using original buyer's credit card details or other stolen credit card detials to make purchases for other buyers.
iTWire - EBay fraud gets smarter – but you get the goods
How scammers use eBay as a personal ATM

(Not good time for me to have avoided using PayPal and using my credit card details for some recent large purchases to avoid excessive fees. :()

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is interesting for sure. I saw electronics but not "used enterprise IT" as a listed as a product category.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
How scammer using buyer PayPal?

To use buyer PayPal.. Scammer to login buyer PayPal account..

?????

vikingboy

Jun 17, 2014
The retailers probably shouldn't ship to non-billing addresses in order to combat this.
I think you are missing the point? The scammers use the credit card details to deliver the item the customer ordered to the customers address, i.e the item does go to the billing address. The scammers then use the credit card to order whatever else they want....its a way to skim credit card numbers without raising immediate attention something is up.

RichardDickJohnson

Oct 24, 2015
I think you are missing the point? The scammers use the credit card details to deliver the item the customer ordered to the customers address, i.e the item does go to the billing address. The scammers then use the credit card to order whatever else they want....its a way to skim credit card numbers without raising immediate attention something is up.
The legitimate e-commerce site in the process is shipping the item to the original customer's address, not the billing address of the stolen credit card number. If those two were to be verified, I don't see how this scheme would work.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
That is interesting for sure. I saw electronics but not "used enterprise IT" as a listed as a product category.
Thanks Patrick for the feedback, though sometimes sellers list 'new' stuff.
Besides, sometimes we can buy other stuff off EBay.

Now Xmas is coming, I'm sure my partner would appreciate some flashy IT equipment in her Xmas stocking...
along with the nice power tools that I'm going to give her. :D

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Perhaps EBay sellers should trade under their real business names, rather than some pseudonym/s that way you could determine whether the goods were sourced from a 3rd party supplier.