SCAM ALERT?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
I continue to get messages from immediate new members with obviously no posts about my WTB posted items. They usually state they have whatever and either redirect me outside of here or asking for my shipping address right off the bat.

When I ask for photos with a username in the pic and advise that payment will be via PayPal they disappear, never to be heard again.

Maybe we need a minimum post count rule or something? Idunno.

Just be careful.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
It’s been brought up a few times recently. Unfortunately it’s just part of this forum being a successful place for sales and trades.

I don’t think a minimum post count is that helpful as they’re sending you messages, not posting scam threads. Even then it’s usually not hard to hit minimums(we’ve had some successful scammers build up decent profiles before) and punishes lurkers.

People need to be vigilant and do exactly what you did. Make sure you have a reasonable belief they have the items and then only pay with methods that have solid buyer protection.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
Yep, got hit up by 'ryanbentley' here. Couldnt give any type of details on what the person has, just pushy about if I am ready to send money?!?!?!?!

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
I would only buy from members who have had prior for sale threads if the account is "new". I don't think the risk is worth it even with cc chargeback protection- it's a hassle and can take months. Buy from well known members.

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
The general pattern is a lil boy mails with text that says something among the lines "me/my friendo has each and everything contact me/him at namenumbers@example.com"
As a general rule I'd simply avoid dealing with anyone who isn't an active contributing user. Although there are people here who have just recently joined and have a great reputation, so just review the profile and posts to get an image.
I don't have any other accounts elsewhere so in my case that won't be any more informative than my profile history here.

robertbarry79

Mar 14, 2023
Thank you very much for this posting. I was just contacted by ryanbentley as well asking if I was still looking for something I had inquired about on this forum.

Reactions: opensourcefan

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ya'll need to report those PMs by cliciking report or posting threads like this so Moderators can see

Reactions: slidermike

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
i've been waiting for heatware to enable the sync to ebay. I had a heatware many years ago, couln't recover it after probably a decade of unuse.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
i've been waiting for heatware to enable the sync to ebay. I had a heatware many years ago, couln't recover it after probably a decade of unuse.
That would be a really, really, really bad thing. eBay has become horrible here the last several months

Reactions: opensourcefan

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
Ya'll need to report those PMs by cliciking report or posting threads like this so Moderators can see
I just feel a bit apprehensive about reporting someone unless it's really really obvious. They may just be socially awkward or something along with being new.

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
btw this is still ongoing i got several messages for the same (now already weeks old) FS post...

But all of them are in the exact same template:
"Hey, contact NAME he has one he wants to sell pm him at RANDOM GMAIL ADDRESS"
Idk but 90%+ seem to be bots (the accounts where created literately minutes before the message),
so just putting even a low limit to enable PMs should fix this,
like have at least one post on the forum to enable direct messages and
have like at least 5 comments on public posts to be allowed to send / post emails, links and phone numbers
this would be so low that it shouldnt be a problem for anyone using the forum but would at least get rid of all the bost.

What do you think?

Reactions: rmcfadzean

druid123

Dec 6, 2022
Poland
btw this is still ongoing i got several messages for the same (now already weeks old) FS post...

But all of them are in the exact same template:
"Hey, contact NAME he has one he wants to sell pm him at RANDOM GMAIL ADDRESS"
Idk but 90%+ seem to be bots (the accounts where created literately minutes before the message),
so just putting even a low limit to enable PMs should fix this,
like have at least one post on the forum to enable direct messages and
have like at least 5 comments on public posts to be allowed to send / post emails, links and phone numbers
this would be so low that it shouldnt be a problem for anyone using the forum but would at least get rid of all the bost.

What do you think?
Same here, at least some captcha validation pre 10 posts or so.

rmcfadzean

Jan 26, 2021
I got a response from the one that DMed me (henrypage) so there's a human there to some degree.

Captchas aren't going to do much tbh, but I do agree with @UnknownPommes suggestions.