ScaleIO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
There were many requests that I start a new thread for the SAN software ScaleIO.

For the record, I do not work for EMC. I have many SAN arrays and fabrics in our configuration
HP EVA
HP 3PAR
NetApp
EMC CLARiiON line (CX3/4/VNX)
XIOTech
DataCore
ScaleIO

Cisco and brocade switches (and one fabric has both running in compatibility mode - ick)​

We bought this software to validate that the system will work in a production setting. We have some plans on scaling out to ~ 1 PB (spinning disk) of raw storage to replace older SAN arrays , but politics may change that...

The application that we are running on this is very write intensive. It is a massive file (millions of 2K-16K file size) queue based system. plus we have 76 DFS servers (all VM's) on this array.

The software has basically 4 components
1) management - install/gui/SRM
2) metadata managers
3) servers that are part of the storage pool
4) client software​

Any and all parts of this can run on Windows and *nix. We are almost strictly a windows shop, so our preferred platform is windows.

I will skip over #1 as I find it is the most lacking. I will add more later...

MetaData Manager (MDM for short) - you must have 2 of these and a TB server. these can be VM's or servers in the pools or clients it does not matter where they are located. however they should be close to the pool because there are many changes that need to be made fast. in our configuration 3 of the 8 servers have a dual role.

Servers (SDS for short) that are part of the storage pool (targets). In the configuration that I manage we have 8 dell servers with 4 * 800 Intel 3700 SSD's in them. The controllers are configured in pass through mode for them. We have a total of 23.3 TB of raw storage and a 32 TB license. This gives us a maximum usable of 16 TB. The servers are also connected to our network over dual 40 GB links. SCaleIO does not (yet) support RDMA. when that happens latency will only go lower.

Clients (SDC for short) are initiators. this is basically a software HBA that runs over a proprietary protocol. The 8 servers that are attached to our configuration are 2 * 4 node HyperV Clusters. I am using the BE network as the IP for the clients.

all and all configuring this system from scratch there are a few things that should be clear
1) ScaleIO depends on things being statically addressed. it does not like a DHCP environment. in my case all of the ports used have static DHCP reservations.
2) The install tool is very confusing to use however if you want flawless upgrades you need to use it. I was able to install the entire environment manually in under an hour. after trying to setup the environment using their tool for 6 hours I just gave up.
3) you should not mix OS's (windows/*nix) for the storage pools.

The rest is easy it is just like working on a SAN array. Creating the storage pool is easy, on the SDS servers create (but not format) partitions on the servers and have a drive letter attached. Then add them to the storage pool. create luns and get ready to present to the SDC. Most of the work here is command line driven. There is very little gui. The lack of a real GUI for management not a real disadvantage.

On the SDC, you install the software and point to the primary MDM. you then can receive any LUN from the pools that that MDM manages.

the real bonus to ScaleIO is that you can add and remove disks and servers (as long as you are under your license cap) without any downtime to the customer.

We had a failed server test. it took 10 minutes for the system to re-balance data integrity to the array.
Adding a new server took an hour for they system to re-balance the data. Removing a server took an hour.

As far as latency is concerned. I do not have real numbers and where are are in the product cycle I cannot run any good tests. What we noticed is the behavior changes in the total system is is running. DFS adds/deletes (millions of link changes per day) happen faster. several issues we had in the past with system updates (think MSMQ like system) now fly. Domain DFS updates (with hundreds of thousand links (way beyond spec) now update without issue with the PDC is rebooted.

While it can be said that we could have used a different system. Overall I am impressed with the flexibility of ScaleIO. iT can create huge (1 PB luns (not tested but scary from a data integrity perspective). the ability to do a hardware refresh while live is very impressive.

More to come later.

Chris

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Chris, thanks for the update!

My understanding is that to use this in a Linux env, you still need to lay a shared file system on top of it, since it presents only a block device to each client, correct?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I do not know about using it in the Linux environment. it can present block 2 ways. one is through the SDC driver. the other is as an iSCSI device.

Chris

Reactions: T_Minus

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Our is the Enterprise license. it allows for thin provisioning and snapshots and a few other features.

Chris

Reactions: T_Minus

charlie

Jan 27, 2016
Budapest, HU
Hi,

Anybody can tall me an average price? We requested a quite, and we reecived an 40k USD offer for 36TB raw capacity. Is it a normal price?

We have a quite for regular storage (Fujitsu), that system is only 18k USD, including 22x1.2TB NL-SAS and 2x400GB SSD.