SC216 NVME/SAS3 Backplane Cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Looking at replacing my SAS2 backplane with a SAS3+4NVME backplane in my SM 216 chassis and it will need 4x NVME cables from my 2x SM NVME AOCs. I've had these AOCs for a couple years now and I purchased the (stupid) expensive adapter cables to plug directly into the NVME drives... now I need the same connection on both ends.

- Is a HD Mini-SAS3 cable the same as NVME? I recall someone testing this but can't find it.
- If not, does anyone have a part# or source for the NVME variant that uses the same connectors?
- And while I'm waiting for sales rep to get back to me... does anyone know if the SM Backplane when purchased separate/retail come with any cables by chance?
- Does anyone recall if the SM AOC come with this cable? It's been so long I may have them thrown in a box since they were no use... LOL.

Yes, I know some answers I will get from my rep but I figure this info is good for everyone to know going forward as SAS and NVME become more popular.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Did you end up swapping out the backplane on your CSE-216?

If you did; what additional resources did you need to make the conversion successful?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yep, have switched out SAS2, SAS3, SAS3+NVME in SC216

I use the supermicro part # for the cables that are the lenght I Need that go to the adapter I need.
Recently oculink.

Supermicro makes a handful of NVME PCIE cards, I have a couple different models.