SC X9-DRG-QF (seeking bios) - C0 Posts but not B0

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I have my X9-DRG-QF in hand and a CO on loan. Neither of my 2- v1 BO QA8Z's will post on the board.
I checked the Supermicro site but they only appear to post the most recent version of the BIOS to their site.

I sent them an email asking for the most recent BIOS that would support a BO chip. They answered the first half of the question. I have sent a second email.

Does anyone here have the version 1 and version 2 BIOS on a usb stick that they could zip up and send me?
I am anxious to find out how badly my Xeon Phi's perform on this board. I am fairly certain I have seen screen shots of a x9-d## board running with BO at version 1.

Thanks much,
Robert

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
... B0s are trash, make Christmas Ornaments.
They changed bios types to block B0s permanently, there is no rolling back.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I have run the Bo's consistently and stable on the Asus boards x79 and Z9PE (C602)- b oth these are using an AMI BIOS and can be downgraded to base using ami's dos tool afudos. - and yes I've put them up for sale to trade up to the 2670's flooding ebay or a couple of the 10 core v2's 2680's on taobao.

Part of the code that supports v2 chips seems to break the B0 microcode (or at least that appears to be the case with Asus).
By rolling back the BIOS to the correct patch level they work just fine.

They did not change bios type to block Bos. It was a side effect.
Bo's did run on the x9-d series at some point in time.
Eeprom can be burned and soldered.

The question remains... Does someone have a usb stick with the Supermicro drg roms on them close at hand
And does anyone know which version I need to roll back to.

If IPMI can not do it (Is this confirmed?) I am certain an eeprom burner can :)

thanks,
Robert

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I have run the Bo's consistently and stable on the Asus boards x79 and Z9PE (C602)- b oth these are using an AMI BIOS and can be downgraded to base using ami's dos tool afudos. - and yes I've put them up for sale to trade up to the 2670's flooding ebay or a couple of the 10 core v2's 2680's on taobao.

Part of the code that supports v2 chips seems to break the B0 microcode (or at least that appears to be the case with Asus).

The question remains... Does someone have a usb stick with the Supermicro drg ro

ms on them close at hand

... addendum Supermicro uses AMI. I have a C0 on loan and can boot dos so afudos should be able to downgrade the BIOS (unconfirmed).

thanks,
Robert

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
.... more...
Some quick searching on downgrading the X9 Bios show that the process is the same as for Asus (both using AMI)

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry

Can I downgrade my X9SC_ series motherboard BIOS from revision 2.x to 1.x?
Important Note
Baseboard Management Controllers (BMC) running IPMI protocol is designed to make the management of servers easy for IT operations. Due to BMC's powerful capabilities, it is recommended that BMC network access be restricted to a protected subnet behind firewall. IPMI Security is an evolving topic and Supermicro has been actively working with security community and customers to provide timely patches and continuously improve security on our products. We encourage you to visit following links for most updated resources and information: Best Practices guide and recommended security firmware patches on our IPMI landing page.
Answer
Usually, it is not recommended that you downgrade your BIOS. However, if it must be done, please follow the procedures below:

If you already have the BIOS package for the new 2.0a BIOS, all you need to do is drag the BIOS 1.1a ROM file into that folder and use that directory to downgrade the BIOS. There are 2-3 steps to make this work.
1. Make sure you rename file AFUDOSU.SMC to AFUDOSU.EXE.

2. At DOS prompt, run file script “AFUDOSU /P /B /N /R /K” and it will ask you if you want to force it and it may damage the SYSTEM ACTIVATION, go ahead and type in “Y” then enter. (If it says anything else besides damaging the SYSTEM ACTIVATION, DO NOT FORCE IT).

3. After the flashing is done, just CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reset the system back to DOS prompt. At DOS prompt, downgrade the ME by typing in script “AFUDOSU /FDT /MER /OPR” Let it update the ME and once complete, unplug AC power then plug back in and your system should now have BIOS 1.1a.

After this process, the system may turn on and off automatically by itself several times because it is initializing the older BIOS and making sure that the BMC resets itself as well as IPMI.

X9SCA, X9SCI, X9SCL, X9SCM, BIOS, 1.1, 2.0, downgrade
#FHTS

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan

The question remains... Does someone have a usb stick with the Supermicro drg ro

ms on them close at hand

... addendum Supermicro uses AMI. I have a C0 on loan and can boot dos so afudos should be able to downgrade the BIOS (unconfirmed).

thanks,
Robert

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
... and a bit more (Board Revision numbers matter)

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry

I applied RMA for motherboard X9DRG-HF and the replacement I received is with PCB rev. 1.20 instead of my earlier board with PCB rev. 1.02. I would like to downgrade the BIOS on the replacement board to the earlier BIOS version that I had been using. Is there any concern?
Important Note
Baseboard Management Controllers (BMC) running IPMI protocol is designed to make the management of servers easy for IT operations. Due to BMC's powerful capabilities, it is recommended that BMC network access be restricted to a protected subnet behind firewall. IPMI Security is an evolving topic and Supermicro has been actively working with security community and customers to provide timely patches and continuously improve security on our products. We encourage you to visit following links for most updated resources and information: Best Practices guide and recommended security firmware patches on our IPMI landing page.
Answer
For PCB rev. 1.20, you need to at least update to BIOS 2.0b(2013/5/2) or above and IPMI firmware 2.28 or above. Otherwise, your motherboard may not work.

jsuh1993

Feb 28, 2016
I have my X9-DRG-QF in hand and a CO on loan. Neither of my 2- v1 BO QA8Z's will post on the board.
I checked the Supermicro site but they only appear to post the most recent version of the BIOS to their site.

I sent them an email asking for the most recent BIOS that would support a BO chip. They answered the first half of the question. I have sent a second email.

Does anyone here have the version 1 and version 2 BIOS on a usb stick that they could zip up and send me?
I am anxious to find out how badly my Xeon Phi's perform on this board. I am fairly certain I have seen screen shots of a x9-d## board running with BO at version 1.

Thanks much,
Robert
Robert, did you end up getting hands on the older bios for X9DRG-QF? Thanks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I did. I have a fairly large collection of BIOS versions. BUT I traded up for a pair of 2670's so I am running the most current BIOS (except, that my board was ****o and had to be rma'ed so I am still waiting for the miracle of working computer) ;)

jsuh1993

Feb 28, 2016
I did. I have a fairly large collection of BIOS versions. BUT I traded up for a pair of 2670's so I am running the most current BIOS (except, that my board was ****o and had to be rma'ed so I am still waiting for the miracle of working computer) ;)
AWESOME. Robert, may I please get all the bios versions you have for the X9DRG-QF??? I would REALLYY APPRECIATE IT.

I replied to your old thread about 3.2 version not booting Win 10. I wanted to get a chance to hear from you on if you were able to get windows to work.. Did you just RMA it? IS there anything they asked you to try? THANKS!

jsuh1993

Feb 28, 2016
I will make you up a care package this evening. One of my sockets was fubar and had to be replaced. Board was still under warranty happily.
And were you able to Windows 10 setup to launch with the 3.2 bios? I have been following your other thread on that. Thanks!