SC-846TQ - Average or typical?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nasphreak

Apr 9, 2016
Maybe it's typical, but $212 + S&H gets all of the following:

Chassis: Supermicro SC-846TQ-R900 (SC-846TQ-R900 -??- hopefully pieced together right)
Backplane: SAS846TQ rev. 3.1 (individual ports)
Motherboard: H8DME-2 2.01A
Processor: 1X Quad-Core AMD Opteron 1.8GHz 2346 HE
RAM: Samsung 16GB 8x2GB (PC2-5300P? - per photo)
RAM Total/Open Slots: 16 Total; 8 Open
Power Supplies: 2 x 900 W
HD Controller: 3x Supermicro SAT2-MV8
IPMI: SIM1U+ with AOC-USB2RJ45

I was actually just looking at this. I have my own SuperMicro X9DRD-EF-B, Dual E2670s and 64GB of RAM to cram in it. But I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere

Does the 846TQ Backplane support larger than 2TB Drivers since its direct connect(I know the SAS-846ELi will only recognize 12 drives or so if they are bigger than 2TB). And will it support the faster speeds since its direct connect? Like will my 6Gb/s SATA Drives work at their full capacity in the bays? Or will it be limited to 3Gb/s?

I'm looking to eventually run 4 RAID6 Arrays of 6 Drives Each of 6TB or 8TB Drives (I will build one array at a time over the next year or so.

Thanks for your help!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
TQ backplanes definitely support devices larger than 2 TB since it's basically a pass through backplane. However I'm not sure if the transfer rate is limited to the HBA or the backplane, I'd guess the former.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Yes, the 846TQ backplane supports >2TB drives at SATA3 link speed
The TQ backplane is good and bad, it's a blind pass-through so whatever speeds you want to run should be fine but you won't get any dual-porting functionality like you can with the SAS backplanes and you'll need a bunch of breakout cables to wire up the mess.

Nasphreak

Apr 9, 2016
The TQ backplane is good and bad, it's a blind pass-through so whatever speeds you want to run should be fine but you won't get any dual-porting functionality like you can with the SAS backplanes and you'll need a bunch of breakout cables to wire up the mess.
I appreciate the quick replies!

I have bought this chassis and yeah, I know the downside is the individual wires because I will need 6x 1m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male w/ Latch to SATA 7pin Female (x4) Forward Breakout Cable - Black - Monoprice.com of those to fully populate it.

So yeah, at first I certainly don't mind the wiring, considering It won't be fully populated, and maybe down the road I will change over to a SAS2 backplane, but after dropping Approx. $1,000 on all the various parts (still need to spend a tad bit more) the Extra $180 or so for the SAS2 Backplane doesn't seem worth it right now if I can work with out it!

So yet again! Thanks everyone.