SBC Storage Server/Node for SFF/ULP homelab w/ potential VanLife Svc?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AMv8(1day)

May 13, 2019
!WARNING! I WILL add further details and clean up later.

Just wanted to get this out of my head and see if I am the only crazy one that doesn’t see the point in these overly large NAS cases.

I’ve been collecting components and knowledge for a while to build out an SFF storage node for a homelab, but am also considering potential for an even smaller SSD based version down the road for mobile deployment.

Currently my plan is to mount an SBC/NUC onto an x6 3.5” HDD cage I picked up, use an SI-ADA40141 M.2 to x5 SATA adapter, and a couple AC/DC to Molex power adapters to supply HDD power.

For ESXi experiments with vCenter encryption (I’m in Cyber) I’m considering picking up a NUC7i5DNHE as it supports M.2 2280+2230 E-key for WLAN, TPM 2.0, vPro, and a pretty competent i5-7300U w/ configurable TDP of 7.5/15/25W.

Buuuut despite it being pitifully low perf compared to modern NUCs/AMD, they are still stupidly priced on eBay. (~$500)

Alternatively, there are other SBCs/NUC options that could meet some of my needs for much less. My UpBoard Squared could support a mPCIe to x4 SATA adapter + M.2 2230 LAN slot (which could support an x2 SATA adapter if needed), along with dual Gbit NICs. A myriad of other SBCs trade various specs for price... Then there is the “rugged” ULP NUC8CCHKR with M.2 2280+2230, 64GB eMMC, and a Celeron N3350 @4-6W TDP, ~$200.

Obviously regardless, some physical modding of the case, and/or fabricating new casing, will be necessary.

All that to say “am I the only one?” am I missing something, or does this seem much preferable to the overpriced, crap hardware Synology options? Or finding room for an unnecessarily large Home Server case?

P.S.
The VanLife mobile lab is a future idea I’m toying with down the road. I would likely build a 100% SSD server using a multi-2.5” to 5.25” adapter. Considering in the next 12-18 mo depending on current job prospects.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Love the idea of VanLife mobile lab . I like to know more.

Instead of NUC, check out the TMM ( TIny Micro Mini ) series in this forum

HP or Dell mini with I5-8500T or I5-9500T goes for around $200. much better value then NUC

AMv8(1day)

May 13, 2019
Love the idea of VanLife mobile lab . I like to know more.

Instead of NUC, check out the TMM ( TIny Micro Mini ) series in this forum

HP or Dell mini with I5-8500T or I5-9500T goes for around $200. much better value then NUC
Another project I’ve been knocking around is building a bulletproof 4/5G LTE router/access point for mobile computing. It would be one thing to convince my future management to allow me to work remotely, it would be another to tell them that I plan to live in a van, hopping around campsites all over America, without a rock solid network connection.

Real quickly though, there are a few COTS solutions that give some measure of rolling network access, but it’s still very much a niche, “RV family” problem, which means not a lot of effort beyond “Can I get my Netflix at the RV park?”.
But I have a heavy network engineering background, and some familiararity with LTE access points, hotspots, etc. So I’m looking at a more DIY pfsense SBC style solution, using likely a board like the Walleys DR6018 v2.
Adding a 5G LTE M.2 module, supporting dual SIM for multi-ISP fallback, quad cell antennas routed out to the roof, x3 1Gbit NICs + 1 with POE + x1 2.5Gbit NIC, and optional WiFi 6E support with quad internal antennas. Overkill connectivity wise, but always nice to have and not need. Especially if it will still end up being a NUC sized box mounted out of the way anyway.
What really matters is the antenna size and placement. WeBoost sells RV antennas that mount externally as tall as 28.5” off the roof, with standard RG-6 coax routed into the vehicle. It’s meant for their booster kit that’s basically a fancy (and expensive) repeater, but you can just adapt the connection directly to your hotspot/router.
Check out the HAK5 Youtube channel for similar setups. Two of their hosts have been rolling the always connected VanLife in their vans.

I’ve eagerly watched many of the Project TMM videos and articles, especially the Lenovo sporting a 10C/20T 10900T @35W with cTDP-25W! If I continue to expand my multi-node lab, I could definitely use it as my compute node.
That said, I think that the extra casing and cabling complexity would be more of a hindrance than it’s worth. Plus they’d still be a bit large to then mount onto a HDD cage. a 4x4” SBC would be easier to mount, fabricate brackets and casing for, etc. Plus, if/when I go mobile, every watt counts. 35+W is a bit much for simple storage serving, but 4-6W from something like the rumored Pentium N6000 NUC is really nice. Gigabyte and Asus also have N6000 NUC clones that could fit the bill, one with a 2.5Gbit 2nd NIC option.