SATA PCI card or port multiplier (internal).

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

I am playing with my sample NSC-400 mITX case with 4x hot swap and the possibility of up to 2x 2.5" SATA drives.

As I am looking to run an Atom board in it I need to add some more SATA ports to handle the 6 drives. The two boards I am looking at are the D2700MUD and the D2500CC (dual network ports) but both have PCI slots (oh why do you tease us so Intel). Both boards have mPCIe slots so I am looking at mPCIe -> dual sata cards to add two more and am investigating PCI SATA controllers but with the PCI slots max speed of 133MB/s, putting more than a couple of drives on it is going to heavily impact drive / motherboard throughput.

One thought occurred which was to use port multipliers to double up the motherboard sata or the mPCIe SATA. There is very little I have found that may be of much use though.

I could use the D2800MT with a PCIe slot and dual mPCIe card slots (1xfull and 1xhalf size) but that is another $25 or so on top. I could then add something like the Syba SY-PEX40008 (I have yet to read any reviews). That works out to be about $56 different from the D2500CC but will run all 6 drives.

Another option is using a Supermicro board with 6 sata but that is the previous gen D525.

Suggestions ?

Thanks
RB

wkearney99

Aug 3, 2012
Is there any way to use a regular PCIe card in an mPCIe slot? Then you could use something a SAS adapter and some SATA breakout cables to connect up to 8 drives (or more externally). This would seem smarter than using multiple 2-port mPCIe adapters.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
There are these risers out there for that purpose. But keep in mind that speed will be severely limited. 1x pcie 1.0 would be 250mb/s if i'm not mistakin' which is not a lot for an 8 port hba, 2.0 would be double that but still not enough.

wkearney99

Aug 3, 2012
There are these risers out there for that purpose. But keep in mind that speed will be severely limited. 1x pcie 1.0 would be 250mb/s if i'm not mistakin' which is not a lot for an 8 port hba, 2.0 would be double that but still not enough.
This diagram was insightful: http://serverfault.com/questions/11633/whats-the-bandwidth-and-form-factor-for-pcie-x1-x4-x8-and-x16

Yes, if you're talking to 8+ drives directly then doing it through a 1x port is going to be less than ideal. It'd be less of a problem if you were dealing with an array controller on the board that was talking to the drives. There you'd at least be getting near single hard drive speeds through a 1x interface. But I've no idea which controllers would work. It'd certainly be an interesting experiment.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice diagram but the speed in each direction is a bit dated. Actually a x1 PCIe controller would actually make some sense now with effectively 1GB/s in each direction.

PaulOlave

Aug 26, 2012
Then you could use something a SAS adapter and some SATA breakout cables to connect up to 8 drives (or more externally). This would seem smarter than using multiple 2-port mPCIe adapters.

Last edited by a moderator:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Interesting.

The D2500 / D2700 Atom boards have a mPICe x1 v2 at the best guess. The boards also support either a single or double PCI cards using a 1 -> 2 riser. The tech specs do not detail if the PCI slot is 33 or 66MHz but notes the dual PCI card option requires a riser with compatibility with a 2nd 33MHz clock.

So 2 on-board SATA II + 2 SATA II via mini-PCIe + up to 2x PCI cards.

so;
2x SATA II = 200 MB/s per drive max.
2x SATA II via mPCIe = 200MB/s per drive max.
2, 4 or 8x SATA II via PCI (1 or 2 cards - dual or quad port) = 133MB/s (possibly 266MB/s if 66MHz) / number of drives accessed.

The fact is I am thinking entry level here so not top speed but at least reasonable.

I suspect 4 drives will be possible but 6+ will be difficult and prone to stability issues.

RB