SAS SSD 3.3v tape mod = amber light

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sd11

Jun 2, 2016
I have a U-Nas 810a. The backplane is passthrough with 4pin molex for power.

In order to get my Micron SAS SSD to be detected I had to do the 3.3v pin tape trick. The drive is detected, but the activity light is always illuminated amber.

I had to the the same on 3 WD drives, but the amber doesn't stay on.

Any idea's why

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
How did you implement the tape mod?

In my previous experience doing this, I had to be pretty careful with making sure the tape didn't shift/move once the power connector is inserted. In more than one instance I had to remove the drive and re-do the kapton tape or adjust the strip. Of course you can just paint the pins with non-metallic nail polish if you'd like a more permanent solution, though I don't prefer that for my own use.

sd11

Jun 2, 2016
It took a while as you mentioned. I guess it's impossible to determine if it shifted unless you take it back out.

Would it shifting be the reason?

sd11

Jun 2, 2016
Thanks. I think i'm going to order some new kapton tape and try again.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Btw, I've seen some others use electrical tape, or even regular scotch tape. Technically both will work as you only need to cover the pins. The reason why I've stuck with kapton tape is because electrical tape is a bit thick (don't want to introduce additional strain on the connector), and scotch tape is usually too thin IMHO.