SAS cage and AHCI unwilling

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by unwind-protect, Jul 21, 2016.

1. unwind-protect

I have this Silverstone SAS cage.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5TG82C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to work on a random non-JBOD SAS controller, but when using with AHCI SATA controllers it won't. I tried Intel onboard SATA from x58 and I tried an AHCI PCIe controller.

In all cases both Linux and FreeBSD get into endless loops saying that a drive discovery request is already in progress. Disks are SAS.

This should be working, no?

2. ttabbal

ttabbal Active Member

I don't think compatibility goes the other way. SAS controllers can run SATA disks, but SATA controllers can't run SAS.

vanfawx and Terry Kennedy like this.
  3. unwind-protect

Strange. I was sure that I randomly poked SAS disks into SATA backed frames before. But maybe I actually didn't and they had SAS controllers.

Waiting for more cables in the mail. Sigh.

Thanks, ttabbal.