Samsung SM843T speeds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
I recently picked up 6x Samsung SM843T 480gb SSD's, and thought I'd give them a review, since they're extremely affordable for what they are, and a few people jumped on them when I posted the deal.

My system configuration is as follows:
Dell R310 with X3430 cpu & 8gb ram
Dell H800 HW raid controller with 1gb cache
LSI 620J DAS

Through research I've managed to learn that the drives are already 17% overprovisioned from the factory, so the 480gb SSD's are actually 560gb SSD's, leaving room for garbage collection.

So far I've had zero issues with the drives, considering I bought them used. 5 were like new, one had some use, but still had overall good health. Here's hte smart data: 6x Samsung SM843T 480gb Enterprise SSD's

Under Windows storage spaces Parity Array:

Under Perc H800 1gb cache controller configured as raid5:

Single Intel 730 series 240gb SSD performance:

IOPS when using Raid5:

IOPS of the Intel 730 series 240gb single drive:

If anyone wants other tests run I'd be happy to run them before i move to production.

Last edited:

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
Enabled the H800's Cut-Through IO, and re-testing.

Here's raid5:

I can't even finish these tests. Cut-through IO in this application is bad.

For those that are curious:
4.3 Cut-Through IO
Cut-through IO (CTIO) is an IO accelerator for SSD arrays that boosts the throughput of devices
connected to the PERC Controller. It is enabled through disabling the write-back cache (enable
write-through cache) and disabling Read Ahead.

Attachments