Samsung PM953 smart values

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
I have been buying up some PM953 M.2 drives off ebay and got one which ended up getting the "ERRORMOD" failure. It appeared like it got this failure while I was formatting the drive in Windows 10. After the fault condition appeared I couldn't do anything in Windows with it; just showed as a 1GB drive (normal value 960GB) and wouldn't take any formatting or reads or writes. HD Sentinel just showed corrupted SMART data.

After some searching around I found this post:
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/samsung-sm963-960gb-m-2-to-1gb-issue.21405/

I booted to the FreeBSD live cd and did a "nvmecontrol format" then rebooted into windows. Like magic the drive worked again. Formatted correctly and now displays sane smart values. I also noticed it appeared to reset the smart values back to 0.

Is it normal that a botched format could cause controller\smart values to change\corrupt? I wouldn't expect formatting or data on the drive to change the base controller behavior. I wonder if some of these low hour\low usage drives on Ebay have been reset\manipulated in this way to make them appear as new drives?