Samsung PM853T or 850 EVO?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HVAD

Apr 27, 2016
Hello,
I'm looking to buy several drives for our Dell C6100 servers running VMWare Esxi. I saw that the price for Samsung PM853T and 850 EVO are pretty the same now so not sure which one is best for our tasks? Any advice would be great!
Thanks!

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I wouldn't use the PM853 the 3d nand used in the 850 evo and PM863 is superior, the PM863 is worth consideration and generally priced similarly to the 850 evo on ebay however with either one I have to ask about your workload as you'll see a drop off in write performance on TLC drives once the emulated SLC cache is exhausted, in a read heavy workload or with large(1tb+) drives this isn't as catastrophic a decline as they have both large caches and more nand to maintain higher write performance but it is still worth examining compared to a MLC drive especially for servers.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
A downside is 850 EVOs don't have PLP (Power Loss Protection) like the PM853Ts, so you technically risk corrupted writes. If the Dells are on adequate interactive or online UPS with long term measure (generator or automated shutdown) you should be fine.

HVAD

Apr 27, 2016
I wouldn't use the PM853 the 3d nand used in the 850 evo and PM863 is superior, the PM863 is worth consideration and generally priced similarly to the 850 evo on ebay however with either one I have to ask about your workload as you'll see a drop off in write performance on TLC drives once the emulated SLC cache is exhausted, in a read heavy workload or with large(1tb+) drives this isn't as catastrophic a decline as they have both large caches and more nand to maintain higher write performance but it is still worth examining compared to a MLC drive especially for servers.
Thank you very much for your suggestion, so I think we will go ahead with 850EVO, we have a bunch of them running now already :)
A downside is 850 EVOs don't have PLP (Power Loss Protection) like the PM853Ts, so you technically risk corrupted writes. If the Dells are on adequate interactive or online UPS with long term measure (generator or automated shutdown) you should be fine.
Yeah the datacenter we are on has backup UPS, so I think it should be fine :)

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Hello,
I'm looking to buy several drives for our Dell C6100 servers running VMWare Esxi. I saw that the price for Samsung PM853T and 850 EVO are pretty the same now so not sure which one is best for our tasks? Any advice would be great!
Thanks!
The PM853T drives, with power fail protection and firmware designed for servers, are your better choice.

Reactions: Patrick