Samsung/Oracle F320 3.2TB NVME AIC $209.99 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
Update - now that I have a bracket I’ve been able to check the drive out. 6% used is nothing - been on 5 years but looks in good health. Temp sitting at 41C, airflow might be a problem in a workstation chassis....

firmware: KPYAIR3Q

1672608573692.png

Reactions: Samir and mmk

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Update - now that I have a bracket I’ve been able to check the drive out. 6% used is nothing - been on 5 years but looks in good health. Temp sitting at 41C, airflow might be a problem in a workstation chassis....

firmware: KPYAIR3Q

View attachment 26440
Looks good. The 41C temperature is pretty decent too; I have something like similar in a server chassis even if you ramp up the cooling a bit. These just run warmer than most.

Reactions: Samir

Rttg

May 21, 2020
Or even better yet, figured out a way to cross flash these to other OEMs’ firmware?

rsumperl

May 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
Does anyone have a procedure for flashing these either in Windows or the EFI command line?

Thanks
Ray

chiuljnk

Apr 20, 2016
Hello everyone,
Does anyone have a procedure for flashing these either in Windows or the EFI command line?

Thanks
Ray
Get-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "MS1PC5ED3ORA3.2T" | Get-StorageFirmwareInformation

Get-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "MS1PC5ED3ORA3.2T" | Update-StorageFirmware -ImagePath "<PATH_TO_NEW_FIRMWARE>" -SlotNumber 1

Reactions: e97 and Samir

RDshift

May 6, 2021
@DarthCirrus Would you mind sharing what workstation? I'm considering putting this in a Lenovo P320 SFF to replace the SM961 (down to health 80%), but I've added a front 80mm Noctua fan, replacing the meh factory fan.
I suppose I'll also be adding validation true/false if this can be used as a boot drive in the process. Samir thumbs'd every post, so I'm not taking that Thumbs up as a yes yet, but I might have installed ESXi 8.0 on it previously - I can't remember which drive was assigned for boot.

Last edited:

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
@DarthCirrus Would you mind sharing what workstation? I'm considering putting this in a Lenovo P320 SFF to replace the SM961 (down to health 80%), but I've added a front 80mm Noctua fan, replacing the meh factory fan.
I suppose I'll also be adding validation true/false if this can be used as a boot drive in the process. Samir thumbs'd every post, so I'm not taking that Thumbs up as a yes yet, but I might have installed ESXi 8.0 on it previously - I can't remember which drive was assigned for boot.
Right now mine is in a Lenovo P620. The temps I posted were in my Lenovo TS440 that I use as an UnRAID server. In the P620 I see mid/high 40s and I stuck it in one of the lower slots so it’s getting air flow directed front to back from the intake fan.

Reactions: Samir and RDshift

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Thanks! Looking forward to your results/confirmation

RDshift

May 6, 2021
Thanks a bunch! This is actually reassuring. While those are definitely beefier units, I'm suspecting this may actually help in my ...case... since my airflow will also be front to back, but I have less places for the air to go. It's a similar path, but with my SSD in the top slot without a video card, I think I'll get slightly better results (note: top slot occupied by video card in most P620/P320 pictures). Picture of P620 internals vs Picture of P320 internals for others to consider.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Samir thumbs'd every post, so I'm not taking that Thumbs up as a yes yet...
I'm thumbing the content of the post, not that it is a solution or not to something. Crossing my fingers for you though. :) Would be nice if this works as a boot for your scenario.

Reactions: e97

RDshift

May 6, 2021
No. I took a very long time coming back to this because it wound up not happening. Until some other switcharoos just occured!
I popped the F320 (firmware KPYAIR3Q, DM me if you have newer please) in the Lenovo P320 SFF, and got a 3 short 1 long beep code. No love. I'm a little confused as to the technical why though. It shouldn't be power, since the x16 bus should be rated for 75w across just PCI-e. This machine has also hosted a 1650 in the past. The Lenovo still didn't like it even when the F320 was the only thing plugged in, or swapped into the primary slot, replacing the factory SSD.

It gave the same beep code when an Optane P4800X was plugged in as well, but that device was faulty.
Optane 900P does work just fine though. I do not recommended it for Plex. Get a regular SSD, and you won't even notice the difference. There is next to no benefit, not even for extremely large libraries with tons of metadata. Optane for Chia or write heavy Docker? Ok, sure, but you probably don't need it except for things writing as heavily as Chia plotting.