Samsung/Oracle F320 3.2TB NVME AIC $209.99 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
One of the last threads about these at 270-280$ area should have fairly recent firmware and links on reflashing it as samsung for better support.

Looked at them before but dropped it due to consumption, if accepting 170 area its probably the cheapest they have been.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
If it's a 1725, make sure you can update the firmware. The older firmwares have serious bugs.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
If it's a 1725, make sure you can update the firmware. The older firmwares have serious bugs.
This is more or less what you should do with all SSDs these days..there have been so many bugs from many vendors, although especially Samsung seems to have a rather bad track record there..

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
This is more or less what you should do with all SSDs these days..there have been so many bugs from many vendors, although especially Samsung seems to have a rather bad track record there..
Yeah, but where's the firmware? Wé're forced to truncate Dell's and hope it works?

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
I received the SSD and am pondering updating the firmware. Does anyone know how to backup the current firmware with the NVME CLI?

Emtu

Nov 14, 2014
Received mine today. Came with firmware KPYAIR3Q which I believe is one minor revision behind latest?
Smart info - 44,209 power on hours and 2.5PB writes. Reporting 6% used. Could be worse.F320.JPG

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Received mine today. Came with firmware KPYAIR3Q which I believe is one minor revision behind latest?
Smart info - 44,209 power on hours and 2.5PB writes. Reporting 6% used. Could be worse.View attachment 26278
That's the second latest firmware.

Your numbers look good. 6% used is nothing. The one I got is also 6% used but unfortunately shows 84% of spare available..which isn't so great. Not too worried though as this is my cold spare (have a couple of these in use and wanted a third one should one fail).

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
That's the second latest firmware.

Your numbers look good. 6% used is nothing. The one I got is also 6% used but unfortunately shows 84% of spare available..which isn't so great. Not too worried though as this is my cold spare (have a couple of these in use and wanted a third one should one fail).
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what the “spare available” is referring to. With your drive having 84% available, does that mean that 16% of the blocks are “bad”? Does it mean that of the rated 3.2tb, you can only use 84% of it?

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what the “spare available” is referring to. With your drive having 84% available, does that mean that 16% of the blocks are “bad”? Does it mean that of the rated 3.2tb, you can only use 84% of it?
Spare is the space used for fixing various issues (bad blocks, performance etc) with. It is not a part of the nominal space (i.e. 3.2T in this case). Most if not all SSDs have have such an area but NVME drives tend to report it better than SATA/SAS in my experience.

Basically 84% spare remaining means it's had to repair itself at some point by taking some of the saved-for-the-rainy-day capacity into use. Not ideal but not a disaster either as long as that number stays put..

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
Spare is the space used for fixing various issues (bad blocks, performance etc) with. It is not a part of the nominal space (i.e. 3.2T in this case). Most if not all SSDs have have such an area but NVME drives tend to report it better than SATA/SAS in my experience.

Basically 84% spare remaining means it's had to repair itself at some point by taking some of the saved-for-the-rainy-day capacity into use. Not ideal but not a disaster either as long as that number stays put..
Thank you! That is very helpful to know. I bought one as well, so we’ll see when mine gets here how its health is. Assuming mine comes similar (say 80s% spare) when’s a good timeframe to check for continued progression of decay (weeks, months, ect)? I assume writes are what are likely to cause continued loss more so than reads…

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank you! That is very helpful to know. I bought one as well, so we’ll see when mine gets here how its health is. Assuming mine comes similar (say 80s% spare) when’s a good timeframe to check for continued progression of decay (weeks, months, ect)? I assume writes are what are likely to cause continued loss more so than reads…
You'd probably want to keep an eye on it the same way as you would monitor reallocated sector count elsewhere.. Not quite the same thing but ideally you don't want either value changing.

It's all about how you value your data and how paranoid you are ;)