Samsung:HD154UI/Y 1.5TB SATAII 5400RMP 32MB Experiances ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kyoko

Jan 4, 2011
Heya,

Does anyone have any experiance with these drives?
I can get my hands on these pretty cheap (wholesale) but i'd love to hear some feedback before i get them.

Thanks !

leagle

Jan 1, 2011
Alexandria, VA
I have 2 or 3 of this model. They have performed flawlessly. I didn't benchmark them because they reside in my backup server, but I can tell you that they run cool and quiet. Samsung has been my favorite brand of consumer drives for the last year or two. Get them, you won't be sorry.

Kyoko

Jan 4, 2011
will do ! just ordered 5 of them for a raidZ -1 array. I'll let you all know how it goes

kfoda

Jan 5, 2011
I have a 10 drive RAIDZ2 pool, initially all WDC WD15EADS 1.5TB. I bought two spare as well. The purchase was spread over about 3 months and most of the drives are different manufacture dates. Over the last year, 5 of the WD drives have had issues including one of the cold spares I used to replace a failed drive with. Given this high problem rate, I was reluctant to I replace them with WD drives.

Luckily the SAMSUNG HD154UI 1.5TB is the "exact" same size as the WD 1.5TB and can be used as a direct entire disk replacement. I now have 3 x HD154UI in the 10 disk pool, the oldest being nine months. They are all working working well and have had no failures or
sector re-allocations.

I also now have a 10 drive pool with SAMSUNG HD204UI 2TB drives. It is about 1 month old. No problems so far. I am happy with the Samsung drives!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
kfoda: I have had similar luck losing 3 of 8 WD Green EADS drives in 12 months. Small sample size and my 2TB WD Greens have been fine.