Safe temperatures for EPYC cpus

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

latot

May 7, 2023
Hi all, this is something I have not been able to find... well noy only for EPYC, but what temps a CPU can have to works properly without been damaged working 24/7? In my case, I have a EPYC 7742, and I want to know which temp would be safe for intense work.

Actually I have two strategies to handle the temp, one is fans curve and change cpu frecuency.....

Is there a way to know the safe temp that a cpu can have?

Thx!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
All cpus since pentium 4 netburst era should throttle when they overheat.

Do you have a passivly cooled setup in mind or what's the reason for the question? :D

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
in the warranty period you can do what you want.
i think the OP does not have 3 years. if one lasts 4 years with 100C other one can die after 3 month, you are not sitting in.
imho the temp changes are more the problem, means heat up and down frequently often.
in fact higher temps degreese the lifetime, but how much no one can say.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
CPU's usually last forever, I would not worry about that.
Its nonsense listen to the answer by engineer from intel.
Thermal shock will damage the CPU to ilustrate: From room temperature to like 100 deg very quickly you can damage the CPU
Running it under sustained high temps will also damage CPU. Physics of this did not change just AMD and Intel pretend they have somehow cheated the physics.

You dont have to believe me see for yourself in this vid.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
You take that out of context, of course heat will degrade a cpu quicker. But I've had so many CPU's over the years, and the only one that has ever failed was overclocked with super high voltage over 6 months before it died. For normal use there is no worry. Heck AMD Ryzen will automatically adjust the Ghz frequency based on your cooler and heat. It will always reach 99C, and find the optimal frequency based on your cooling solution.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
You take that out of context, of course heat will degrade a cpu quicker. But I've had so many CPU's over the years, and the only one that has ever failed was overclocked with super high voltage over 6 months before it died. For normal use there is no worry. Heck AMD Ryzen will automatically adjust the Ghz frequency based on your cooler and heat. It will always reach 99C, and find the optimal frequency based on your cooling solution.
Any source for this? i have some ryzen systems with stock BIOS settings* one of them goes to 95 deg Tctl and stays there under load of course.
*XMP RAM profile ,Fan profile set to perf,Turn on Power loss
I think the biggest degradation cause is static overclock AMD at least in order to have high frequency and less heat is doing quite a lot of frequency shenanigans to dance around silicons physical limitations.

As i said based on above i dont believe Intel and AMD claims one bit and i am keeping my CPU cool to prolong their lifetime and specified perf characterstics it is well known degraded Ryzens to achieve same perf will consume more power and produce more heat.
I am perfectly willing to accept hypothesis that in order to look better in benchmarks and to get performance per gen CPU makers are willng to bend the truth a little. It would not be the last time.

In order to get somewhere please tell us what would be the safe temperatures for you.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
epyc cpus especially the 7742 run really cool, unless you have really inadequate cooling the vrm will more likely overheat before the cpus themselves.

latot

May 7, 2023
Hi! thx for all the answers, I buy an used epyc 7742, so no warranty, I want the CPU to live for a lot of years more.

The terms of cool and hot are relative, so... how much is cool and how much is hot? I don't know where areas are safe, with potential damage and damage.

I'm still waiting for the parts, but I'll use IceGiant ProSiphon Elite, 9 fans in a meshify 2 xl of 269,3 m³/h each one, due to where I'll put the server, I need that, and with low noise, I think I very close to the limit of how much I can work with the case and cooling.

So, the only remaining part is.... keep the CPU under the risky temps...... which I still don't have very clear to me.