SA120 question--please check my logic

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m0bilitee

Dec 1, 2015
I've got a Dell PowerEdge R420 I'm using for backups (both disc to disc and to LTO tape). In addition to local disk (around 2TB) and an old EMC connected SAN with several LUNs, I'm looking to augment with some sort of el-cheapo DAS. Lurking in this forum I see the Lenovo SA120 might help me reach my goals, and I'd like the group here to check my ideas to make sure they are sound.

Initially I have access to a bunch of 10K 300GB SAS drives due to workstation upgrades to SSDs. These are just lying around, so I'd like to use those in this enclosure for JBOD. My R420 has a dual port LSI SAS 3801X card in it which the tape drive is connected to leaving me with an open port that could connect to external storage. I'm not concerned with hardware based RAID, though I could do RAID 1 or 10 with this unit. I'm probably not going to do RAID though, and I think single connection with a single PSU SA120 is fine for my requirements. I'll be mostly housing transitory data that will sit there then get streamed out to tape on a different interval.

At some point I'd like to be able to up the size of these drives considerably though, moving from my "free" drives to something like WD Reds in the 4+ TB range.

Does purchasing and loading up an SA120 seem to fit with my above logic? I have minimal budget, it seems like a pretty reasonable way to get 12 X 300 gig additional drives attached to my backup server.

Thanks!

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
If you need the speed of that many spindles, then I guess so, but I feel like there are cheaper and lower-wattage ways of getting an extra 3.6TB into a server!

m0bilitee

Dec 1, 2015
If you need the speed of that many spindles, then I guess so, but I feel like there are cheaper and lower-wattage ways of getting an extra 3.6TB into a server!
Oh for sure, this is more of "I have access to these 300GB drives right now" thing. Power isn't free of course, but the hardware is right there for me at the moment. Like I said I'd like to move to SATA WD Reds at some point, at which case I'll probably replace all the 300GBs with 1 4TB Red. :)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
if the tape drive hangs, will it hang the other port of the same raid controller?