S2600cp2j windows 7 ultimate or 10 pro ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

finally my mobo s2600cp2j arrived with 2x E5-2680v2.
Now I'm wondering if anyone had issues with windows 10 pro for this particular motherboard, as it isn't listed in the supported operating systems:
Operating System Compatibility for Intel® Server Board S2600CP Family

I will use it mainly for Blender 3D, Maya autodesk and video editing.
Or should I stick to Windows 7 as this OS is officially supported by intel for the S2600cp2j ?

Many thanks in advance!

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Hello everyone,

finally my mobo s2600cp2j arrived with 2x E5-2680v2.
Now I'm wondering if anyone had issues with windows 10 pro for this particular motherboard, as it isn't listed in the supported operating systems:
Operating System Compatibility for Intel® Server Board S2600CP Family

I will use it mainly for Blender 3D, Maya autodesk and video editing.
Or should I stick to Windows 7 as this OS is officially supported by intel for the S2600cp2j ?

Many thanks in advance!
I have Windows 10 running on mine without problems. You have to ensure that the right chipset drivers are installed. Mine were not from the start. This resulted in a unclean shutdown and CPU error on restart. I think I used the drivers for server 2016, available on Intel site. I found the same problem discription on a thread here but regarding a supermicro board with the same chipset. The solution there worked well.

Regards
Peter

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
Thanks Peter for the response
I went for Windows 10 pro and it installed smoothly.

The only small problem I have now, after installing the those latest chipset drivers, is that the system sometimes won't boot up.
It hangs at the windows logo and keeps rebooting until I power the system off manually and reboot again.
But for the rest, everything runs fine so far :)

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks Peter for the response
I went for Windows 10 pro and it installed smoothly.

The only small problem I have now, after installing the those latest chipset drivers, is that the system sometimes won't boot up.
It hangs at the windows logo and keeps rebooting until I power the system off manually and reboot again.
But for the rest, everything runs fine so far :)
Hi,

Check that all devises are recognized in device manager, click view to also see hidden devices.
One of the intel management interface were missing for me. It is under system devices
s2600cp-devices.JPG

The drivers I used was intel chipset SPS MEI NULL v1.2.3.2003.zip

I also had a problem similar to what you describe after I put in my graphic card. Clearing the cmos solved that and setting in bios not to load compatibility bios for the card (only uefi). Have you put your card in the right slot? It should be in the blue one close to the edge of the MB

Regards
Peter

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
Hi,

Check that all devises are recognized in device manager, click view to also see hidden devices.
One of the intel management interface were missing for me. It is under system devices
View attachment 7698

The drivers I used was intel chipset SPS MEI NULL v1.2.3.2003.zip

I also had a problem similar to what you describe after I put in my graphic card. Clearing the cmos solved that and setting in bios not to load compatibility bios for the card (only uefi). Have you put your card in the right slot? It should be in the blue one close to the edge of the MB

Regards
Peter
Thanks for the info Peter.
Finally found the "problem" why it sometimes hangs.
It has to do with the power supply. After powering off the system, I also have to switch off the PSU. If I don't, the next time I power on the system, it will hang most of the time at the windows logo screen.

About the GFX card, I did indeed read everywhere that the card must be put in slot 3.
However, when I did, the system simply wouldn't boot. I had to put it in slot 5 (the one closest to the PCIx16) to make it work.
I'm fiddling now with the SDR. CPU fans are still running at full speed, whatever I change in the SDR file...

system s2600cp2j s.jpg

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for the info Peter.
Finally found the "problem" why it sometimes hangs.
It has to do with the power supply. After powering off the system, I also have to switch off the PSU. If I don't, the next time I power on the system, it will hang most of the time at the windows logo screen.

About the GFX card, I did indeed read everywhere that the card must be put in slot 3.
However, when I did, the system simply wouldn't boot. I had to put it in slot 5 (the one closest to the PCIx16) to make it work.
I'm fiddling now with the SDR. CPU fans are still running at full speed, whatever I change in the SDR file...

View attachment 7739
Still sound like the problems I had before I did a cmos reset. After that the video card was detected and worked perfectly without any problems. Also the switch off of the PSU was not needed after I got all chip set drivers installed correctly.

The fans running full speed is a sign of the available fans not assigned correctly while running the FRU setup.
Have you looked in the BMC Web Console to see if all fans are there and detected correctly? Mine are running under 1000 rpm and I can hardly hear them. I have 2 cpu fans and 3 case fans. I have not needed to change the SDR to get them to work properly

Peter

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
Still sound like the problems I had before I did a cmos reset. After that the video card was detected and worked perfectly without any problems. Also the switch off of the PSU was not needed after I got all chip set drivers installed correctly.

The fans running full speed is a sign of the available fans not assigned correctly while running the FRU setup.
Have you looked in the BMC Web Console to see if all fans are there and detected correctly? Mine are running under 1000 rpm and I can hardly hear them. I have 2 cpu fans and 3 case fans. I have not needed to change the SDR to get them to work properly

Peter
Thanks for pointing me out I can use the BMC Web console to check the fans. I wasn't aware of that.
For the fan sensors, it shows both fans:
fan.jpg
However the reading shows they're running at 20K RPM ?
Does that mean the sensor isn't working, as the max rpm is 1800 of the cpu fans ?

I will do a clear cmos tomorrow, to check if it will fix the boot issue.

Thanks !

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
Clearing the CMOS fixed indeed the boot problem and the video card issue !!!!!!!
The GFX card is now sitting in slot 3 without any problem :)

Thanks again :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for pointing me out I can use the BMC Web console to check the fans. I wasn't aware of that.
For the fan sensors, it shows both fans:
View attachment 7747
However the reading shows they're running at 20K RPM ?
Does that mean the sensor isn't working, as the max rpm is 1800 of the cpu fans ?

I will do a clear cmos tomorrow, to check if it will fix the boot issue.

Thanks !
Hi again,

What is the lowest speed of your fans?
If it is below the 392 it might mean that the BMC thinks the fan is not working and puts all on full blast.
Do you have case fans connected to the MB also? Are they Pwm? Can you see them in the BMC

Here are what mine looks like

upload_2018-2-3_17-26-53.png

Peter

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
The only fans connected to the MB are the CPU fans. The min RPM is 800 and the max rpm 1800, according to their specs.
Did you alter anything in the BIOS for the fans ?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
The only fans connected to the MB are the CPU fans. The min RPM is 800 and the max rpm 1800, according to their specs.
Did you alter anything in the BIOS for the fans ?
The only thing I altered was the altitude setting. But that made no difference. Mine worked directly when I set it up the first time. I started with only processor fans. Then later when I built the MB into a case I added 3 case fans, all of them connected to the MB. After running the FRU setup and identifying them everything worked. I remember one time when I had disconnected the case fans and started the system the cpu fans did run full speed but when I reconnected the case fans all became normal again. What fans are you using?

Peter

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Clearing the CMOS fixed indeed the boot problem and the video card issue !!!!!!!
The GFX card is now sitting in slot 3 without any problem :)

Thanks again :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Glad to hear that.
Your problem sounded like mine and I tried everything for a day before doing the clear cmos.

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
The only thing I altered was the altitude setting. But that made no difference. Mine worked directly when I set it up the first time. I started with only processor fans. Then later when I built the MB into a case I added 3 case fans, all of them connected to the MB. After running the FRU setup and identifying them everything worked. I remember one time when I had disconnected the case fans and started the system the cpu fans did run full speed but when I reconnected the case fans all became normal again. What fans are you using?

Peter
The fans for the CPU Coolers are Enermax ETS-40F with 4 pin PWM connectors.

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
The fans for the CPU Coolers are Enermax ETS-40F with 4 pin PWM connectors.
This is getting more interesting! I have Enermax N30II cooler. the smaller version of what you have.

What BIOS version are you at. I am at the latest (at least last time I checked)

upload_2018-2-3_19-19-36.png
Had you been hacking in the SDR file?

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
My BIOS version is also the latest.
I didn't hack into the SDR until recently.
Imho the problem is related to the wrong reading of the fan speed, no ?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
My BIOS version is also the latest.
I didn't hack into the SDR until recently.
Imho the problem is related to the wrong reading of the fan speed, no ?
Could the wrong rpm not be a result of your hacking of the SDR file?

It is a known behavior from the BMC to run the fans on full speed if something is out of control.
Do you have intrusion detection enabled for example?
You could test and connect the cpu fans to some MB fan headers, enable them in FRU setup, and see the readout of the rpms. But first I would suggest to return to the original SDR file. It should work correctly with your fans

Peter

Kimmura

Dec 25, 2017
Yes, you were right again.
Turned out the SDR was the culprit. After replacing the SDR with the original one, the fans are running at min speed and the readings are correct.
Now I have to modify the SDR step by step, to see how I can ramp up the cpu fans when the temp rises.

fans.jpg

Reactions: evolucian911

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Yes, you were right again.
Turned out the SDR was the culprit. After replacing the SDR with the original one, the fans are running at min speed and the readings are correct.
Now I have to modify the SDR step by step, to see how I can ramp up the cpu fans when the temp rises.

View attachment 7766
Good to hear that it is working as expected now.
Have you put the cpus under heavy load to see the temperatures?
What do they reach?

So far I have not edited the SDR. The fans automatically increase their speed when I have some load.
I selected the fast ramp in the FRU but so far they hardly spin up. It is winter now where I live (northen Italy) so it is not even 20 degrees Celsius inside. Summertime I will have 30, that will put the fans to more work for sure.

Please report back if you find a good setting in the SDR.

Peter