Ryzen motherboard or start over?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
I have not done it myself, but my understanding is GVT-g is needed for sharing the iGPU amongst VMs with SR-IOV. It should be possible to passthrough the iGPU for exclusive use by a single VM. I may be mistaken about this.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I have not done it myself, but my understanding is GVT-g is needed for sharing the iGPU amongst VMs with SR-IOV. It should be possible to passthrough the iGPU for exclusive use by a single VM. I may be mistaken about this.
I was more curious if iKVM display still worked once iGPU is enabled. I had heard these are mutually exclusive on many boards.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Regarding vKVM, that's only an issue if the console uses iGPU. It should be fine to continue using the BMC graphics for console and vKVM, and use the iGPU headless.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
It is actually possible... it needs ACS patch maybe even more hackish stuff. Not something you should do as it has its risks.
Reason why it is diffcult to do "true" pcie passthrough because iGPU is not really an separate piece of HW.
Just use the mediated gvt-g "SRIOV" and save yourself the effort.

Reactions: Sean Ho

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
Just in case you're not aware, for transcoding: your X12SCA-F should passthrough iGPU from CPUs equipped with such; QSV takes the load off the CPU and is more power efficient.
Both the supermicro boards came with CPU's which i'll use for now. The X12SCA-F came with a Core i7-10400F, the X11SAE came with a Core i5-6700. I believe neither of which have iGPU. I did pick up a Tesla M40 though, which i think will be used for transcoding and probably cloud gaming for my daughter.

The firewall has been moved to the X10SBA-L which is working nicely with opnsense.

The stickier part is how to move the array from the dead Asrock board to the new X11SAE. The NVME drive on the board doesn't boot on the X11SAE which is the target, but will boot on the X12SCA so it is looking like i need to build that board into the nas first, transfer everything from the array to the spare hard drives, then rebuild the nas into the X11SAE when i can go clean slate. THEN the X12SCA can get built into the number cruncher. Unless i can find a magic way to get the X11SAE to boot with the old NVME drive. I tried last night and was unsuccessful.

name stolen

Feb 20, 2018
Both the supermicro boards came with CPU's which i'll use for now. The X12SCA-F came with a Core i7-10400F, the X11SAE came with a Core i5-6700. I believe neither of which have iGPU. ...
Intel CPU without iGPUs are typically the -F models, so your i5-10400F does not have iGPU, but the i7-6700 does.

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
Complaining about power draw and then using a separate GPU for transcoding, I can’t reconcile these two pieces of info.

Reactions: Sean Ho

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
The thought is to move to a platform with a separate gpu that only gets used occasionally. Transcoder or cloud gaming, at least it's all in one spot. Right now i have a daughter with an Xbox cooking her bedroom. Want to move as much as possible to the basement out of her living area.

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
On the X11SAE, i picked up a Supermicro SC836 chassis, is it possible to throttle down cores/turn off cores to save power? I am not familiar with Intel core stuff.

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
yes, maybe only with core disable bitmap, but that is no trocket science either.
or just disable turbo boost ( if supported by your CPU )
I'll have to dig around in the bios and see what is possible. I think the I5-6700 is probably way overpowered for NAS and light service duty, but the price was right.

The SC836 case and power supply will probably blow more power than the MB. I'm really liking the X10SBA-L for opnsense though. That has been rock solid since going online.
I know some of the discussion here has been odd, and i appreciate the input from everyone. This is not my day job, just a hobby at this point. $500 power bills get old quick. When the server went down and didn't come back up during opnsense migration, the wife came right out and said "spend enough money to not lose 20 years of photos and media. Make it reliable" I can live with that.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
If you're transcoding, Intel 6th gen doesn't do h265 well. Need to move to 7th gen for better handling, or ideally 8th+. I have a i7-6700 running Blue Iris and needed to disable h265 on a few of my newer cams to get HW accel to work right.

Reactions: name stolen

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
Oh really? Dang. Maybe i stay away from h265 then. Most of my recording is h264. some streams are MPEG2, those could be 264 i guess. it's only hard drive space...

On a sour note, the X11SAE was dead tonight, right after i got it running last night. I took the motherboard out of the case, found water. Coming out of ram and under cpu. We found a clean spot on top of the server rack, right under the seam between the kitchen and stairwell. Every summer, we have a little trouble with water on the floor under the fridge. I figured it was a plugged drain, but haven't been able to find it in spite of tearing the fridge apart twice. Sounds like i need to be much more invasive. this has cost me at least a X11 motherboard. Perhaps the reason for the ASrock boards dying? It usually happens in the summer, when the fridge is sweating. I'm beyond pissed.

• Wow
Reactions: zac1

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020
If you're transcoding, Intel 6th gen doesn't do h265 well. Need to move to 7th gen for better handling, or ideally 8th+. I have a i7-6700 running Blue Iris and needed to disable h265 on a few of my newer cams to get HW accel to work right.
The 6th gen was just going to run the NAS and the mythtv backend. The i7-10400F was going to do the transcoding, or even the Nvidia M40 if i can get that running. It's not intended to run all the time, just when i want to play with VMs or do number crunching. the i5-6700 was just for light duty things.

86turbodsl

Feb 24, 2020

My condolences on the water leak and resulting damage; that's a headache!
Yeah it sure is. Now i'm back on the hunt for a NAS motherboard. Puts me weeks behind again. I threw a large chunk of metal up on top of the server rack. So at least it won't happen again in any event.

Edit: Found an additional X11SAE from the same person as i got the last one, so i should be back in business soon, and i already had the X11SAE figured out. Now to marry with the SC836 chassis.

Last edited: