Running Plex in a zone under OmniOS (Performance Penalty?)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
I have been tinkering with the idea of moving from Napp-it inside ESXi to bare metal - but since I want to utilize the E5 I have in this box for Plex transcoding I wondering if anyone tried running Debian/Plex inside OmniOS?

I really have not tried zones/containers at all, so have no experience.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
The best performance would be to use a recent OmniOS build and deploy Plex inside an LX-Container. Last I checked the only thing that didn't work this way is the Plex DLNA server. I have run this under Smart OS inside the LX container and indeed it does work. I'd recommend passing your media mounts via LOFS to the appropriate container.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
I just checked with the OmniOS folks, looks like the lx branded zones have not been up streamed by Joyent from SmartOS to Illumos yet so no lx-branded zone in OmniOS yet. Works great on SmartOS though.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
I'll have to read up in the difference first to know if I should be sad or not :)

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
lx branded zone = bare metal performance. Debian VM = VM performance penalty via KVM. For your use case running a linux VM under OmniOS for Plex should be okay.

weeman

Oct 1, 2014
Your other option is running Plex in an LXC container under Proxmox.

This will give you bare metal performance as well as native ZFS which you can passthrough to the Plex container.

I'm running this setup at home and it works well and you get a nice GUI to manage the VMs.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
lx branded zone = bare metal performance. Debian VM = VM performance penalty via KVM. For your use case running a linux VM under OmniOS for Plex should be okay.
Ah got it!

Your other option is running Plex in an LXC container under Proxmox.

This will give you bare metal performance as well as native ZFS which you can passthrough to the Plex container.

I'm running this setup at home and it works well and you get a nice GUI to manage the VMs.
Hmm, that could be another option, but then I'd lose napp-it. Can Proxmos do sharing via NFS?

weeman

Oct 1, 2014
Proxmox is based on debian so yes you can create NFS / Samba shares on the host or passthrough the file system to an LXC container and create the shares in the container.