Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

namezys

Jan 3, 2024
What's your Unleashed version? "Default Gateway" is directly below the Management Interface "Access VLAN“ setting on newish versions.
I have r730 :)

However, I suppose that there is internal settings that can be modified from cli

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Interesting. Maybe it is hidden in UI?
Yes. I think it's in the documentation but not actually in any version of the product.
I can see the field in the AJAX calls made by the web admin UI (empty), so I guess it might work if you call these directly.
If it works like ZD then it would override the default gateway which you set in the IP Settings tab. Maybe that's why they decided to disable it in Unleashed?

namezys

Jan 3, 2024
Yes. I think it's in the documentation but not actually in any version of the product.
I can see the field in the AJAX calls made by the web admin UI (empty), so I guess it might work if you call these directly.
If it works like ZD then it would override the default gateway which you set in the IP Settings tab. Maybe that's why they decided to disable it in Unleashed?
It's possible. As I can see from docs, the management interface will use the same gateway as AP (on IP Settings tab) but it's not possible in my case because on "IP Settings tab" net is 10.101.0.0/16 but management IP is 10.2.2.1/16

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
If you use your browser's dev tools when you set the Access VLAN then you will see extra enable-addif-gateway='false' gateway='' attributes on the request. You can try replaying the request with your gateway IP: enable-addif-gateway='true' gateway='10.2.2.x'.

I'll add the management interface to aioruckus this weekend, which should make testing easy.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Wow. I can make a pull request as well if it's possible.
If you want, but all the effort is in testing against the different ZD and Unleashed versions. Already I can see the Unleashed and ZoneDirector payloads are different, so I'll need to get a combined payload which works on everything & doesn't trigger any crashes.

namezys

Jan 3, 2024
If you want, but all the effort is in testing against the different ZD and Unleashed versions. Already I can see the Unleashed and ZoneDirector payloads are different, so I'll need to get a combined payload which works on everything & doesn't trigger any crashes.
I see. Looks like I don't have enough experience.

Do you know about DHCP requests from AP?

namezys

Jan 3, 2024
I checked the CLI interface and there is no way to set a gateway for the management interface.
I didn't check if I could modify the route table to get a gateway for management interface.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
I checked the CLI interface and there is no way to set a gateway for the management interface.
I didn't check if I could modify the route table to get a gateway for management interface.
I suspect that the developers assumed the management IP would be in the same subnet as the AP IP is so it's a secondary address on the same interface, not another interface. If that's the case, there's no way to associate a route or gateway with the management IP. At best you'd have to do source-address-based nexthop routing which is certainly available in Linux (using policy routing or something similar) but getting the AP to do it is likely going to be more trouble than it's worth.

pedrom

Jun 1, 2023
I'm seeing frequent (every few hours) 'kernel panics' in my 730->850 ruckus with 200.14 .
Is there a way to narrow these down to a feature or set of features that can be disabled ?
I have enabled snmp in these devices.
Thanks.

namezys

Jan 3, 2024
I'm seeing frequent (every few hours) 'kernel panics' in my 730->850 ruckus with 200.14 .
Is there a way to narrow these down to a feature or set of features that can be disabled ?
Thanks.
We need more detail. I use SNMP v3 and everything very smooth

pedrom

Jun 1, 2023
I'm not saying that the problem is related with SNMP, instead that that's the only feature (SNMP v2) i've enabled outside the normal configuration.
If there's a process to look at the 'kernel panics' which i haven't been able to find online, please let me know.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Thanks.
If you just bought the R730 then I'd recommend reverting back to Solo and seeing if the panics still happen. It's reasonably common for Ruckus to let people keep RMAd APs, which they sometimes unscrupulously sell on eBay.

You'll need to install a vulnerable version of Unleashed so you can get a root shell, then set the model and name back to R730, commit the change, then immediately install R730 Solo firmware.

If the panics still happen then return the AP for a refund.

Reactions: pedrom

pedrom

Jun 1, 2023
Thanks, will do that.
Do you have a suggestion for the 'vulnerable version of unleashed' to use when reverting back to Solo ? Wondering if the previous instructions will work the same.
Thanks.

Last edited:

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
@ms264556 should I be buying a cheap USB programmer? (in case I need to reflash the R730 - yes, I bought one :))
Do you have a link to one you recommend?
I don't intend to break/brick the R730, but I don't mind spending $5 for a programmer and starting the 2-3 week delivery process before I really need it.

• Haha
Reactions: ms264556