ROME8D-2T + 3090s PSU requirements

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
These parallel miner boards are built for a specific purpose. Not yours, as far as I can tell.
They are designed for systems with super low power CPUs, loaded up with GPUs.
I would recommend using a standard PSU to power your motherboard, ensuring it has the correct eps 12v connectors. Then add on your parallel miner board and PSU to power your 3090s separately.
Or just buy this.

If your not adding too much else on there, you could power your board and 4 3090s, technically.
Personally l, I'd still go with 2 PSUs.
The YouTube channel GamersNexus did several pieces on transient spikes under load of high end GPUs and showed how they can double their current draw for short periods of time and have the PSU trigger it's ocp.
If you plan on using this much power in one small box you need to be very careful.
I've been a fan of how stable and efficient the server PSU + breakout boards. I've used them to power Z490s with i3 CPUs.

But this EPYC board looks much more complicated in power draw so I had my doubts. Looks like I was right, I will have to use a proper PSU as the primary. I would need to look for one that has 2x 8pin EPS or can it fly with only one?

forget the 4pin's form the ATX24 and make a 8pin+4pin from two 6pin (custom cable)
They are selling 6pin to 4pin cables (supposedly for CPU power). Will 3 of those work? Otherwise are you suggesting I splice my own 6pin cable into the 8pin?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I would need to look for one that has 2x 8pin EPS or can it fly with only one?
all good PSU have two 8pin(one EPS and one 4+4) minimum. if the mobo manual states you have to plug both, do it.
They are selling 6pin to 4pin cables (supposedly for CPU power). Will 3 of those work?
sure.
Otherwise are you suggesting I splice my own 6pin cable into the 8pin?
no/yes. two 6 pin to 8+4, we need 6 yellow and 6 black cables.

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
They are selling 6pin to 4pin cables (supposedly for CPU power). Will 3 of those work? Otherwise are you suggesting I splice my own 6pin cable into the 8pin?
I trust parallel miner to have done this correctly but this seems like such a kludgey solution I wouldn't recommend it.

Are you putting this on a mining frame or in a server case?
If you can put up with the noise of an open air mining frame it would give you the room for all your parts and spacing to allow the 3090s to breathe properly.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I trust parallel miner to have done this correctly but this seems like such a kludgey solution I wouldn't recommend it.

Are you putting this on a mining frame or in a server case?
If you can put up with the noise of an open air mining frame it would give you the room for all your parts and spacing to allow the 3090s to breathe properly.
Open frame. GPU fans are much softer than regular server fans tbh.
all good PSU have two 8pin(one EPS and one 4+4) minimum. if the mobo manual states you have to plug both, do it.

sure.

no/yes. two 6 pin to 8+4, we need 6 yellow and 6 black cables.
Makes sense. I've inspected the 6pin to 4pin and it seems like if I get those I can't power the second 4pin as the pinouts will be in reverse.