RJ-45 pin out question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
As I mentioned earlier I am in the process of moving and networking my new house. I have all of the wall plates in place and all of the keystone jacks terminated but for some reason I am unable to get any of the cables to work when I terminate the other end with a regular plug and not an other keystone jack. So obviously I'm doing something wacky. I have tried completely reversing the pin out and it still doesn't work. I am following the A guide on the keystone jacks but following the A pin out for the ends seems to be a no go. When I terminate the other end in an other keystone jack everything works fine though.
Could anyone shed any light on this insanity?

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
No. I'm not sure of anything. I'd sure feel like a dolt if the keystones were B though.

I'll go look now. I spent the entire evening and afternoon wiring the living room for speakers and am about to tip over. I also did a boat load of other things this morning. The wife is happy though because the dryer is wired up, vented to the outside and has now dried two loads of laundry. But the only response I got when it was done was, "isn't that an unusual place for the vent?". WTF?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Honestly most places wire everything in B. Chances are if your keystones are not marked for A or A/B, then its B.

Regarding the vent....where the hell did you mount it?

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
I'm pretty sure it's A. I followed EXACTLY what the top row indicates. That's why I've been using A for so long. It's on the top of the keystone jacks. Simple enough.

I have done this for just about every keystone jack I have ever terminated. I have never been able to get them to work with anything aside from another keystone on the other end.
.......It says "A".... right?

And about the vent, well, it's really the only place it could go considering where I was demanded to place the washer/dryer.

please excuse the terrible quality of the pictures. The wife is the photographer but she isn't tech savvy at ALL and is always garbling the settings on the camera. She can't use it afterwards. I can't use it afterwards. It's a $2,000 paperweight.

Last edited:

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Call me crazy but it looks like your keystone jack is either weird...or incorrectly marked.

Everyone i have seen has Orange-white/orange and blue-white/blue on one side, and green-white/green and brown-white/brown on the other for A wiring. like this for example http://www.computercablestore.com/punch-down.aspx

I think you should get a cable tester to make sure tho.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Well it's very possible that it's either weird or just plain a POS. I got them from Monoprice. I used to live 1/2 block from the electrician supply store in town and I got tired of paying $7 for a single jack. Forget the prices of cable! My entire order for the house from Monoprice was cheaper than the cable alone from them!

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Whaddaya know? I got up early this morning, took my laptop down to the basement with your link open and..... It worked. I don't know WTF I was doing wrong. This is the first time I have ever gotten this to work. I have had this problem before but it didn't really matter since I always terminated everything with keystones anyway.

Thanks greatly nitrobass24!