Reset Interface to default - Cisco SG300 series

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Does anyone who is familiar with the Cisco SG300 series switches no a way to reset an interface back to default (empty config) settings? The standard Cisco "default interface" command is not available in the CLI and the best I seem to be able to accomplish is be removing most of the configuration with "no" commands but you can't remove everything.

@Pete L. Got any experience with this as I know you have the same SG350XG switch as me.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I have these POS switches all over my house. 2 x SG200-26 and 2xSG300-10. I was wrestling with the same issue (can't remove settings from CLI with "no" version of statement) just this afternoon. Just be glad you have an SG300, because the SG200's don't even have a CLI.

The WebGUI is atrocious. I will be so happy when I can rip/replace the whole lot of them.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I guess I shouldn't rip them too much, since I'm most likely going to try to sell them here in the future. LOL

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Don't know if it's possible or helpful...but thinking in poor man's way..

Via web GUI
Backup configuration to plain text.
Use Wordpad to edit/replace as needed.
Download configuration to switch.

or
Via CLI
Copy/Edit/paste via CLI ??

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I guess I shouldn't rip them too much, since I'm most likely going to try to sell them here in the future. LOL
No, you shouldn't ...'cause I might have bought one off you ;)
j/k ... i have two SG300-20's and love them ...but i'm so simple they are neglected.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Does anyone who is familiar with the Cisco SG300 series switches no a way to reset an interface back to default (empty config) settings? The standard Cisco "default interface" command is not available in the CLI and the best I seem to be able to accomplish is be removing most of the configuration with "no" commands but you can't remove everything.
I don't know if it works on these (it is a classic IOS trick), but if you save it on a remote system, edit it there, and then copy it back with "config overwrite" and reload, you'll ge the desired result.

Sometimes the defaults are non-obvious. Removing "speed nonegotiate" is "no speed nonegotiate", not "speed negotiate"*. Even worse are the commands that are more than on / off, and/or depend on other commands. The trunking commands are like that. If you have an interface you've never modified, you can see both what the config looks like and what "show interface" reports its settings are. If you're lucky, you'll have a command like "show derived-config" that shows you everything, including defaulted options.

* Funny anecdote: In the 80's, the DEC RSTS/E operating system implemented the same CLI (DCL) as DEC VMS. For those unfamilar, commands went like this: command-verb/option1/option2 target. Options could be either /foo or /NOfoo, depending on whether they were a default or not. The RSTS/E folks found an oddball corner case - one of the options to the batch and printing commands SUBMIT and PRINT was the /NOTIFY option to inform the user when the job completed. Since it wasn't a default option, it never needed to be negated. Which is good, as the negation was not /NONOTIFY. Are you seeing where this is going yet?

/NOTIFY already had a "/NO" in it. So the negated form was /TIFY. :p