Request: Supermicro PSU Listing with Noise Levels (recorded and subjective)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
The 1200W gold screamers are killing me. The 502W gold power supplies in my Dell R610s are literally a whisper compared to them. In fact, my Dell switch is louder than 4 R610 servers combined.

I've seen a many discussion and have read conflicting reports about some of the lower-wattage gold power supplies being as quiet as some of the more expensive platinum rated ones.

Can we create a thread or sticky perhaps with reports from users based on their perceptions of noise levels as well as possible actual decibel reports from different power supply units? And perhaps create a ranked list with part numbers of most quiet to least quiet?

I'm also looking for a general suggestion from any users here who downgraded from the 1200W units to quieter units.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Perhaps someone with supermicro contacts can ask for a list. Supermicro probably makes over several hundred different PS. Are you looking for the SC846 series chassis power supplies?

What are the most popular supermicro series for forum members to ask about or record testing for?

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Yeah, any of the power supplies for the SC series. We don't really need like the most comprehensive list of 100+ power supplies, I just know there's around 10 or so that typically are referenced here. Like some of the platinum models and "SQ" units.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I have been in your situation before, and I solved the issue. I have owned 3 various PSUs, and the only truly quiet one was the "super quiet" series. It's model number ends in SQ. There are various power outputs in this series. I went from the 1200 gold, to the 920 platinum, to the 920 platinum sq. I didn't measure it, but it's near silent. Probably ~30 db if not less.

The exact part number I own is PWS-920P-SQ.

Perhaps someone with supermicro contacts can ask for a list.
Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support

Last edited:

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
These are my results measured with a digital radio shack db meter

The stock PWS-902-1R - 67db from a foot away
PWS-721P-1R - gold rated 59db from a foot away
PWS-920P-1R- planium rated 57db from a foot away

I was not able to find the 501p for a decent enough price to test. When I looked on ebay they were around 200$ the 920P I picked up for 40$ off ebay. The 501p should be better then the 920p. And the SQ models should be the best but I could never source them cheap enough. I would have paid more in the PSU then I did for the case.

This thread made me look for an SQ again put an offer on ebay if I dont get it I might switch to an ATX based psu

Last edited:

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
How do you switch to an ATX based PSU in the SC series? Do you just remove the power distribution board and PSU housing?

neo

Mar 18, 2015
How do you switch to an ATX based PSU in the SC series?

I wouldn't, you will face many headaches. You would be better off going with a chassis that has proper mounting for a ATX PSU if using a ATX PSU is the route you want to take.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Honestly, I prefer the simplicity the PDU and hot swappable units provide, I doubt I would go with another chassis. I enjoy building out servers in the supermicro cases far more than I ever have when building any of my gaming rigs.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I would highly suggest you simply go with a PWS-920P-SQ. You will have no regrets.

Last edited:
Reactions: coolrunnings82

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
How do you switch to an ATX based PSU in the SC series? Do you just remove the power distribution board and PSU housing?
You could do it that way but that takes a lot more work I have seen people do it then get the norco backplate that matches an ATX. But I run the x9scm-f board inside my case and there is enough room between the side of the case and bottom of the board for a psu not the best looking option. But it is something I have tossed around in my head.

I took my sc846 replaced all the fans with noctua running at full speed. and currently run the PWS-920P-1R- planium. I just did an offer for a 920P-SQ model on ebay. With this setup my 4tb seagate drives run around 33c with the hottest one running 36c Currently have 16 drives in the unit so its not totally full.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
The fans themselves don't seem to make that much noise to me. It's mostly the PSU.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
The fans themselves don't seem to make that much noise to me. It's mostly the PSU.
Once you get a quiet PSU, you will notice the case fans and want to make them quiet too. Personally I have found only changing the rear exhaust fans is sufficient.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Google is your friend. The best tool that helped me in spec'ing my system was using Google's "Images" with my search queries.

I saw this a few months ago, and am about to do it myself (replacing the 740W Platinum I currently have):

^- humm. photo shows up fine in preview. here's a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2097604/d/d8/d8423dba_49960.jpeg

And here are the instructions, step by step, photo by photo:

Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

My reason for replacing it is not because of noise though (as my blog post will show).

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I like to have the PMbus to monitor the voltages, power usage and temperature from within the IPMI. I also have alerts setup to e-mail me. Removing the Power Distribution Unit disables that.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I like to have the PMbus to monitor the voltages, power usage and temperature from within the IPMI. Removing the Power Distribution Unit disables that.
You can get that data from within the host OS and setup alerts as you want. ESXi or Windows.

Power usage isn't exactly accurate either (part of my blog post coming). I'm using both a Kill-a-Watt and Belkin, which are about 2W within either other at the farthest (most of the time, they are < 1W).

For example, the Supermicro 740W Platinum (just 1 PSU) that goes into the default PS1 slot reports I am pulling 79 Watts from the wall and using 72 Watts. A quick glance at my Belkin shows me 92.2 Watts. The Kill-a-Watt shows the same. So, I have a Kill-a-Watt and Belkin telling me the same thing, and I have Supermicro's BMC telling me another. I tend to believe the wall meters.

Having 2x 740W Platinums installed and running only skus it even more.

Do note that under heavy load (around 420 Watts of usage), the BMC is bit more accurate. Within about 12 Watts of what is actually being pulled from the wall. It's just Idle is way off.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
You are right, however I don't like to hack up the case and disable original functionality when there is an elegant solution. Unless, your ultimate priority is to save $50. Additionally, I do not use ESXi or Windows. I can monitor the system sensors without an OS even installed. Also, you won't be able to monitor the PSU temperatures.

Last edited:

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
Track down the SQ model. I just swapped out my 920P-1R model that was the lowest DB level of all the ones I had for the SQ model its like a night and day difference. After being used to the 920p-1R. My server now sends like a whisper.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Track down the SQ model. I just swapped out my 920P-1R model that was the lowest DB level of all the ones I had for the SQ model its like a night and day difference. After being used to the 920p-1R. My server now sends like a whisper.
You're right about that. My curiousity got the better of me. The SQ model is DEFINITELY a huge improvement. I would even go so far as to say it's "office" worthy. (e.g. in the same room as where you work or as your main workstation)

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
+1 for the SQ! I have a 501 as well and while it is more efficient at the low load I run, it's fans are faster. It is half way between the 721 gold and the SQ in my opinion.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
It is easily office worthy. Using my radio shack DB meter. Even with range set to 60 It will not pick up the server unless I put the meter 3 inches from the front of the server then it will register at 50DB which is the lowest the meter will go. So it is up there with the sound of a dishwasher or refrigerator. That is impressive.