Replacing Pi with Apollo Lake Pentium

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LagrangePoint

Jul 6, 2016
Decatur, AL
I've been thinking about retiring my Raspberry Pi from the homelab and upgrading to something with a little more horsepower, while still staying around 10+W on energy consumption. The intended use is for a bare metal linux distro providing services that should still be available when my main server is down, like DNS, DHCP, syslog, and OpenVPN.

I was looking at some of the new ASRock Pentium boards like the J4205-ITX (for under $100) and thinking I could fit it in a 1U case, throw in an SSD and maybe a platter drive or two.

My questions are: 1) Which boards in this class would be the best value running as a headless server? 2) Will a board like this physically fit in a 1U case and have sufficient cooling with 40mm fans? 3) Is there anything better in this use case coming down the pike that I should wait for?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
One part i would be leary about if you want to use it as a headless server is that it does not have have an IPMI port on it as this is a desktop board and not a server board so you would need to connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor to it to do anything on it if you could not connect to your OS remotely or to work in the bios

LagrangePoint

Jul 6, 2016
Decatur, AL
Thanks for the caution - My rack is right next to my computer desk, so I can work around not having IPMI if it just has a VGA connector. I figure no IPMI saves me some money and watts. I mention "headless" because a number of these boards seem tailored for HTPC usage rather than as a server. I just don't know enough about hardware to determine if there's a better match for server mobos in this architecture and price range.