Replace fans in PowerEdge Tower Servers.. Pin Adapters?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Hi all,
I am in the process a re-populating my home lab with those two machines:
- Dell Poweredge T430
- Dell Poweredge T130

for both servers, I am planning to do the following:
1) find a Noctua PWM fan that fits the both the airflow and rpm range of the original Delta fan
Those fans are usually quieter and as long as the rpm range of the Noctua stays within the specs what the idrac tells the fan to spin at, I assume that it would keep the iDrac happy.

2) replace the original Delta fan with the above Noctua Fan.

Step 2) is where I have an issue.. not being the voltmeter/soldering type of person, I am really at loss to dismantle the original Delta fan connector or to find the proper wiring that wouldn't cause issues to the motherboard..

Does anyone know if someone/a company sells fan PWN adapters for 4 pin Dell Poweredge servers?
I've found this: https://www.amazon.com/adapter-connector-converts-proprietary-sleeved/dp/B005G50C6Q but it seems to be for a 5-pin connector for 'Dell' machines (that's probably for desktop machines).
Does anyone know a reliable source for similar connectors but for Poweredge tower servers?

In my previous Poweredge T410 build, the fan was set to a fixed speed and I left the connector on the mobo disconnected. As a result, the server ran fine and was very quiet but everytime I'd open it, the iDrac would re-issue an alarm saying the fan was missing and I had to acknowledge it.

Any help or reliable wiring diagram would be most welcomed..
Thanks,
Vincent

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
any chance other people know how to mod the drive power cables to have more molex connectors?

Apparently Dell in its infinite wisdom truly limited drive expansion. the power to all of the drives comes off the MB in a proprietary connector attached to proprietary SAS cables.

And there are no spare power connectors on the power supply.

Chris