Remote ssh does not work - networking issue on esx

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hi,
not sure its an ESX topic or a network issue, but it only manifests on the esx boxes so...

I have two locations connected by a Sophos Red tunnel.
I moved an ESX box from one location to the other (different subnet) and want to add it to vcenter - this fails.
I then tried ssh-ing into the box - fails also. SSH setup has been working perfectly fine while the box was in the local location, so it should not be service/esx firewall related.

If I ssh into another box on the same subnet as the remote esx box (a freenas vm hosted on the esx) this works fine, so it should not be a firewall issue either (plus i could only see allowed packages, no drops in Sophos).
From that box i can ssh into the ESX box as well.
Ping, traceroute to the esx box are fine, from a windows box even telnet to the ssh port is working (showing challenge), but not ssh itself.

Locally I can connect my local ESX boxes also, but if I ssh to a remote box (freenas vm again) and then try to connect back to the local esx that fails as well.

So basically as soon as I try a remote ssh to an ESX box it fails. It work locally and it works for non ESX boxes.

Remote ESX has a single vmk, local have 2 vmks (vsan) but default route should be fine.

Any ideas what to look at?

p.s. vSphere Client is working fine as well

Edit: Fixed an issue with tracroute that was mentioned, problem was due to incorrect subnet setup of vsan interface. Does not change ssh problem:/

Last edited:

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
In Security Profile -> Services -> Properities is SSH in a Running State? By default its set to Start and Stop Manually
In Security Profile -> Firewall -> Properties is SSH Server in Port 22 Checked?

What I'm thinking is you started the SSH Service Manually testing locally, but didn't in this case.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Will check later on the boxes, but as I said a connection from the local subnet (via jumpserver) always works, just not from remote box.
So I don't think that's the issue, but thanks for trying:)

Edit:
Yes ssh is running, start with server
Port 22 in and out is open for all connections.

Last edited:

namike

Sep 2, 2014
If it works from the local network but not from another network/subnet you have either a default gateway problem or an issue with the layer3 device you are using as a default gateway. I am not sure what a Sophos Red tunnel is (IPSec VPN?) If so, you could have a route problem on the VPN or a policy issue as well.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I would totally agree with you if it would not work perfectly fine for other Systems in the same subnet, even vms on that particular esx box:/

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ok, I went and ran tcpdump to track this down...
It is not ESXs fault ...
One box didn't have outgoing ssh client in the firewall settings that's why my test connections from one esx to the other didn't work.

ESX 2 ESX is now working with ssh;
Still not working is SSH from windows boxes to remote ESX... Very weird.
Packages get returned to windows box, but putty is simply not "pickung up" on ssh from ESX box. Still fine for Freenas Box.

Will open another thread... not sure yet whether its a software or network issue :(