Remote IPMI via SSH

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AgentCrimson

Apr 5, 2021
I want to remotely manage my server via IPMI from a remote location and I saw articles telling to segregate IPMI interface to a different VLAN and then access it through openvpn can I do the same with ssh and how.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
It is hard to do just with ssh because you need to forward several ports, and if you want to use the html5 versions of the ui you need to re-write the internal URLs to reference the proxied ports. It isn't impossible just a real PITA and you need to know the internals of the target implementation. Doing it with a VPN so you can access the interlace "directly" as if you were on the same network as the target is easy and work with all variations of IPMI from all vendors.
If you have multiple physical servers at a site you cn also go the other end of the spectrum and run a slimmed down virtual desktop with X11vnc and at the site and load up a browser of IPMIView or whatever other tools you need in the desktop there. Then use SSH to tunnel the single connection needed for the VNC session which is really easy to do and well supported with a huge mix of platforms.

If you don't have multiple servers I have use a little ER-X unit to fill the role as the vpn server + DHCP / Gateway for the management network at small sites before. Gets the job done well for a ~$50 investment.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I assume you mean use SSH in place of OpenVPN.

You can usually do a SOCKS proxy via SSH, that you can then configure your browser to use.
This tutorial might do the trick:

The tutorial mentions using Network manager but at least firefox supports manual configuration of a proxy.

That all said, where is the SSH-service run?
I do not recommend exposing the SSH-service of the IPMI interface to the internet nor using a VM (or the host OS) on the system to access it (because you want it to be accesible when the host is down).

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
You can do rsync cron jobs with our without a vpn as long as one side has a public IP you can get to. If they are both private addresses you will need to do a vpn or have an intermediate server with SSH that has a public IP you jump through to get to the private hosts.

If you describe the setup you are working with in a bit more detail we may be able to offer more detailed suggestions.