Remote ad-blocking/network support for elderly in-laws, recommendations?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
My in-laws asked again to see if anything could be done about those 'pop-up ads' that kept bothering them. I already uninstalled the various 'extensions" they end up getting in their browser over time, run AV, etc.

I am considering deploying pi-hole or some other solution but would like to avoid having to drive to their house so remote management is preferred. They will not be managing any of this as they find it difficult enough to deal with computers (they are over 80 each).

any recommendations for something I can set up in their house and support at least some of it remotely? budget is not a concern.
their wifi is a pair of ORBI devices i put earliers, router i think my old Asus and modem from cable ISP.

thank you

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
The best piece of advice I could give you for remote and elderly family members - is to get them a Chromebook. Add uBlock Origin and you got a nearly bulletproof system

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
one is on IMac and managed to put various "ad-on's" there (all the toolbars and 'assistants' and other greyware).so much for Mac is more protected and harder to break ..
another is on windows and has issues with pop-ups/ads , I clean that laptop regularly.
I will not succeed convincing either to switch at this point as long as either hardware continues to work..
however, thank you for suggestions :)

bgpa

Jan 8, 2021
I would use NextDNS as a DNS service from their router (instead of a Pi-Hole) and then choose the most aggressive block lists that they can live with. You can do this on a per device basis or (better) their whole home network.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Thank you all, I will look into suggestions.
I am afraid some form of remote login (team viewer or alternative) is now necessary given how often I get called to help..

bgpa

Jan 8, 2021
For remote access, take a look at dwservice.net. I use it for family IT help across a variety of devices and it works well.

RainmakerRaw

Nov 14, 2016
AdGuard Home (easier and more feature rich than PiHole). Remove the preinstalled blocklists and add the OISD.nl ABP syntax blocklist, and no others. It's an amalgamation of many reputable lists with all false positives, dead domains and 'this breaks websites' domains removed. Kills trackers, ads and nonsense but won't affect adult sites, gambling, shopping etc.

You can run AGH on an old Pi at their place (install WireGuard alongside for easy remote access), or put it on a free VPS like Oracle Cloud, assuming you don't already have access to a decent server somewhere. Generate a free LetsEncrypt cert so you can take advantage of the integrated DNS over TLS/HTTPS/Quic for extra privacy.

All you need to do then is change their router's DHCP DNS to the new AGH server, and do the same on their devices to be safe. Add uBlock Origin and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Edit: Heh, I just noticed this is the first time I actually posted here. I've been reading and watching for years. I guess your post finally piqued my interest.

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
For remote access, take a look at dwservice.net. I use it for family IT help across a variety of devices and it works well.
This is the point of me recommending Chromebook - they can't install malware/adware on it. it's nearly bulletproof. IF you still need remote access you could use chrome remote desktop which is supported by chrome os.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
AdGuard Home (easier and more feature rich than PiHole). Remove the preinstalled blocklists and add the OISD.nl ABP syntax blocklist, and no others. It's an amalgamation of many reputable lists with all false positives, dead domains and 'this breaks websites' domains removed. Kills trackers, ads and nonsense but won't affect adult sites, gambling, shopping etc.

You can run AGH on an old Pi at their place (install WireGuard alongside for easy remote access), or put it on a free VPS like Oracle Cloud, assuming you don't already have access to a decent server somewhere. Generate a free LetsEncrypt cert so you can take advantage of the integrated DNS over TLS/HTTPS/Quic for extra privacy.

All you need to do then is change their router's DHCP DNS to the new AGH server, and do the same on their devices to be safe. Add uBlock Origin and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Edit: Heh, I just noticed this is the first time I actually posted here. I've been reading and watching for years. I guess your post finally piqued my interest.
thanks for the tip. i had been using pi-hole, but wasn't that happy. i'll give this a shot.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Squid as Proxy + some "Local" Filter list.
Works here quite good even the could not block that much as I wish.

RainmakerRaw

Nov 14, 2016
thanks for the tip. i had been using pi-hole, but wasn't that happy. i'll give this a shot.
That's how I discovered it myself. I was using PiHole but wasn't happy with it - the UI was clunky and slow (eg updating Gravity), it lacked features (native DoH/DoT/DoQ) and needed messing with Unbound on localhost to work nicely. AdGuard Home was a breath of fresh air ; still completely FOSS, lovely UI (for what it is), easy to understand, the option of everything clickable in a modern GUI or an easy .yaml file if you want to do that, and tons of options for per-client blocking/DNS/child safety etc. It's a fantastic platform tbh.

Reactions: dswartz