Regarding ECC RAM support on Intel consumer Chipsets (X99, Z87, Z97 and so on)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Background about my question goes like this: I'm helping a friend with a build which has the budget and use case to go for a true Workstation. My idea was to recommend him an Intel Xeon E5-1620v4, a Supermicro X10SRA (I also was a bit interesed in the Supermicro X10SRA-F due to the integrated VGA more than IPMI itself, as it should be good enough for a Linux console host if doing VGA Passthrough, otherwise the host would be headless), and 4 * 8 GiB of ECC RAM (Still didn't decided if UDIMM or RDIMM would be better, and what brand and model). However, since the X10SRA is a rather dull first generation Haswell-E Motherboard and Supermicro doesn't have anything newer aimed for Workstations than it, I decided to look for other manufacturers that released "X99 Refresh" Motherboards for Broadwell-E, and after searching a bit falled in love with the AsRock X99 Taichi due to its simple PCIe topology and excellent features for the price.

This is when I hitted a rather important issue: While supposedly I can use the Xeon and either DDR4 UDIMM ECC or RDIMM ECC with it, I recalled THIS Thread, which as far that I could google, is about something extremely obscure, and didn't saw anyone else talking about that.
Basically, it seems to be quite hard to know if ECC is enabled and working as intended or not, as there is conflicting info between what is set in the Firmware, what SMBIOS reports, and what a tool like MemTest86+ reports. In order to figure out if ECC is working or not, someone did it low level style with a small Linux application that retrieves the reelevant values about ECC status from the Processor itself.

According to the HardForum Thread from info coming straight from the Processor Data Sheets, there can be FOUR different ECC status (Off, On, and two different partial On). The application is supposed to tell you what of these four statuses the Memory Channel is on.
At least the way to access that info applies since consumer Sandy Bridge to Haswell, Skylake seems to have changed it so it is no longer valid, and I have no idea about Broadwell, Haswell-E/Broadwell-E at all.

In around 4 years, there has been very little reports about ECC working or not. ALL the people that had ECC reported as "On" were using proper Workstation/Server setups: Processors with ECC Support (Pentiums, Core i3 or Xeons), a C Series Chipset, and ECC RAM. Point is, I recall hearing somewhere else that you NEED a Q or C Series Chipset to use ECC at all (It should POST and work with the ECC RAM, but ECC should go unused). Yet, many X99 Motherboards claim to be able to use ECC - but I'm not sure if they can actually use it, or merely POST with it.

Because enthusiasts forums are not the sort of place where I'm expecting to see people with ECC RAM, I decided to give a try to ask about this matter here. I would like to know if someone has the in-depth knowledge about this to explain what is going on, or to try to get a few guinea pigs with systems as the one that I'm intending to build (Xeon E5, X99 Chipset instead of C612, and ECC RAM), or consumer variants (Haswell Xeon E3, H87/Z87, ECC UDIMM RAM) that can test the application to give real proof about the matter.
This would give me peace of mind that the Xeon E5, X99 and ECC UDIMM/RDIMM RAM I recommended will work as intended, as otherwise I should keep looking for a viable C612 Motherboard that can compete with the AsRock X99 Taichi, or just go with standard UDIMM non-ECC RAM. But that would be boring, and too close to the typical enthusiasts systems that I like to avoid...

Marsh

May 12, 2013
guinea pig
Guinea pig here:

I have 2 consumer X99 boards

Asrock X99 OC formula with E5-2650 v4 ES cpu
System would not post stuck on post code 53, but the spec mentioned that it may support ECC RDIMM
ECC RDIMM tried:
Dell Micron 16GB PC4-1700R 2133P 2Rx4 DDR4 Memory - MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A | eBay
Dell Micron 16GB PC4-1700R 2133P 2Rx4 DDR4 Memory - MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLZANJO
Kingston Technology 64GB RAM Kit (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 ECC Reg CL15 DIMM DR x 4 with TS Server Memory (KVR21R15D4K4/64)

MSI X99 Raider with E5-2650 v3 ES
System post , running memtest currently

RDIMM tested and work:

Todo:
Tested Kingston Technology 64GB RAM Kit (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 ECC Reg CL15 DIMM DR x 4 with TS Server Memory (KVR21R15D4K4/64) with MSI X99 board.

Order some Samsung ECC RDIMM to test

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Asrock X99 OC formula with E5-2650 v4 ES cpu
System would not post stuck on post code 53, but the spec mentioned that it may support ECC RDIMM
ECC RDIMM tried:
Dell Micron 16GB PC4-1700R 2133P 2Rx4 DDR4 Memory - MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLZANJO
Kingston Technology 64GB RAM Kit (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 ECC Reg CL15 DIMM DR x 4 with TS Server Memory (KVR21R15D4K4/64)
Some AsRock Motherboards supposedly only worked with x8 Bit wide ECC DIMMs:

Solved: AsRock X99 OC Formula, no POST: Registered ECC DDR... - Crucial Community

# Dear ASRock Customer
# We sincerely apologize that you having difficulty with ECC memory.
# Mainboard supports DDR4 ECC x8 (8 bit) RDIMM/x8 (8 bit) UDIMM with E5 series (LGA 2011-3 ) CPU.
# If using x4 based ECC memory, it would NOT be supported.

Since you tested with the expected-to-not-work x4 Bit wide ECC DIMMs, you may want to test with x8 DIMMs.
I don't know enough about DIMM geometry and compatibility to have a solid idea about why it would work in the MSI but not in the AsRock. The IMCs are not the same since the AsRock has a Broadwell-E and the MSI a Haswell-E, but I have no idea if it is purely a IMC issue, different Firmware, or physical wiring in the Motherboard...

What I want is to confirm is if ECC actually gets enabled and used, not just that the system POST and works, since the ECC capabilities may be simply ignored and the RAM could work as non-ECC UDIMM or RDIMM. That would kill the whole purpose of spending more money on getting ECC RAM on the first place.
If you're used to Linux, you may want to try to compile and execute the test application for ECC support that is in the Hardforum Thread. I think there is at least one mention that it does NOT work in Haswell-E, but you may want to give it a try, at least to discard that as a viable method to check for ECC status on Haswell-E platforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My motive is not about ECC vs non-ECC.
I already have few 16GB DDR4 ram in my servers, but always looking for more DDR4 ram for the desktop.
It is $$ per GB, currently , the cost of 16GB DDR4 ECC ram on Ebay is so much cheaper than desktop non-ECC DDR4 ram.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
For the record,
MSI X99 raider board and , E5- v3 ES cpu
16GB ram x 2 Dell Micron 16GB PC4-1700R 2133P 2Rx4 DDR4 Memory - MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A

Memtest 86 showed ECC enabled: YES ( ECC Scrubbing )

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
My motive is not about ECC vs non-ECC.
I already have few 16GB DDR4 ram in my servers, but always looking for more DDR4 ram for the desktop.
It is $$ per GB, currently , the cost of 16GB DDR4 ECC ram on Ebay is so much cheaper than desktop non-ECC DDR4 ram.

That is so strange isn't it? how often do we see something that's better but is cheaper? :)

it's like DDR3 ECC ram vs non ECC ram except not quite as much saving..

Reactions: Marsh