Refurbished Dual XEON HPZ600 or DIY?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
On some motherboards the boot block can be reprogrammed. It is dangerous as any issue during BB programming can kill the motherboard. Usually, there is a jumper on the motherboard that protects the BB portion of the BIOS. Set the jumper to not protect the BB and force the BB to be programmed. It looks like the Z420/620/820 has a jumper for this, but it appears many have tried to reprogram the BB with no success. Except for one fellow in this thread:
Solved: z820 e5-2600 v2 ivy bridge upgrade - Page 7 - HP Support Forum - 5086052

Look at the last two pages for posts by SalSimp. I don't think I am up for removing the BIOS chip and programming it in a flash programmer and soldering back on the board, but it worked! :eek:

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
I think this is for the truly hardcore DIY, I am going to stick with v1 CPU's though at the time I was ordering my Z420, I was toying with the idea of E5v2 upgrade later.
Now looking back I might have bought a Lenovo S30 with then basic E5-1607v2 which is offered by some - it is very slightly more expensive, but obviously supports v2 CPUs...