Refreshing Haswell Xeon E3 server - Established Rocket Lake or cobbled Raptor Lake?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
In a community colo, I have been running my Supermicro-X10 based Haswell server for a long time now, and it has turned 9 years old. I would like to refresh it, and I have been weighing the pros and cons of whether to go for Supermicro X12 or X13, especially since I also want to replace the chassis (with the now 9-year-old PSU and 9-year-old fans).

X12 wise, Supermicro sells a ready-made barebone: The SYS-510T-MR ; dual PSU, X12STH-SYS (muha! ;) ) mainboard. I just need to plunk in a Xeon E-2300 series chip, 128 GiB DDR4 ECC UDIMM, and a bunch of disks. This will get me an established platform, AVX512, but also older DDR4 and generally older-generation hardware.

X13 wise, Supermicro does not sell a ready-made barebone, but I could go for hte CSE-813MFTQC-R407CB chassis (also dual PSU) and plunk in a X13SAZ-F together with one of the ECC-capable Raptor Lake Core CPUs. I can then put in 128 GiB DDR5 ECC UDIMM and the same bunch of disks This loses me AVX512, and it's more DIY, but I do get newer-generation hardware and DDR5.

Price wise, the two are acually not all that far apart. Do you have any positive or negative opinions on both of these setups?

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Rocket Lake is garbage and is an abortion of a microarchitecture. Go with the X13 instead.