Recommended OS SSD for 2-node S2D hyper-v cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
As the title says.
Any good recommendations for OS boot SSD for 2-node Storage Spaces Direct Hyper-V cluster?
Preferably enterprise ~100GB, refurbished/from datacenter is very much ok.
For lab use, so new etc is not needed.

-Jannis

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
If you just using the drive for boot any good SSDs in raid 1 would work.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Check the "great deals" forum here, "Intel S3500 ssds" or something like this.
They are have low write endurance and performance compared to the other intel ssds but make great os boot drives.

Net-Runner

Feb 25, 2016
To be honest, S2D completely sucks in a 2-node scenario. Even a minor issue with a single drive in each host at the same time may cause a complete data loss on such system since basically, it’s an RAID0 in each host which is being replicated over network resulting in a two-node RAID10 over the network. Simplivity https://www.simplivity.com/omnicube-product-family/ or Starwind Virtual SAN Done Right! • StarWind Virtual SAN ® are much better for such small deployments since they work on top of local RAID5/10. That grants redundancy and data locality within each single node (fault domain) in a cluster. Replication works on top meaning that if the drive fails there are enough time and resources to perform a rebalance without impacting the production. S2D usually dies almost immediately (hopefully they will fix this in RS3).

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
The starwind vsan looks interesting.
So I could use storage spaces to create a striped pool on each server, then put starwind on top, and get "s2d" in a better working way?

Net-Runner

Feb 25, 2016
So I could use storage spaces to create a striped pool on each server, then put starwind on top, and get "s2d" in a better working way?
Yeah, that should work. You get a tiered or multi-resilient volume inside each host and replication is done by starwind. Looks like a great setup to me. I would still avoid using striped volumes within single node (some redundancy on a node level is just a must really). So maybe 2-way mirror or parity (unfortunately, it still sucks because of horrible performance) is better. If you have any chance to go with HW RAID - that is also an option.