Recommendation for MESH WIFI Access point only

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

My wifi sucks to put it mildly - and I want a mesh system going.

I did the mistake of buying a D-Link Eagle Pro AI AX1500 pair - but apparently thats a router - and it does not seem to be possible to set up into access point only mode. I just spent 2 hours trying to get it working, imagine my temper when I had to reset the devices twice during this process because it just stopped working.

And don't get me started by the atrocious software you are forced to install on your cell phone to set up the device.

So what I want is:

• Wifi mesh access point only, with possibility to add more extenders as needed.
  • No silly app required to configure

When I google, I get a lot of different stuff, but people use router/access point willy nilly on the internet - and I do not want a router - I want an access point exclusively.

So please hit me with your recommendations for devices you have first hand knowledge of that works - and are access points only.

I do not care about the latest and greatest, meaning I would like to at most spend 140 USD/130 EUR.

I do not want POE - I do not have POE and I would like to have a power plug I can plug into the wall.

And plus points if you do not have to be connected via wifi to set up the devices, since my workstation is using a wired connection and doing stuff on my phone is just silly - or for young people.

Sorry for the rant - but please help me :)

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Since you want a mesh system, I'm assuming you don't intend to run network cables to each AP?

Many APs use PoE because it's a nice way to power them and connect them to the network over a single cable and it makes for a very clean installation in the ceiling or on the wall. The availability of PoE injectors mean that you don't necessarily need a PoE switch.

You might want to check out Ubiquiti's Unifi series, TP-Link's Omada series as well as the ones from EnGenius. These can usually work in "mesh" mode.

If you want a more traditional consumer "mesh" solution, you might want to look at the ones from Netgear, Google, etc. too, where I think at least a few of them allow you to configure them with a web interface and not just an app.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I'm assuming you don't intend to run network cables to each AP
I would actually prefer this, since my house is old and made of chicken wire mesh inside the walls :) - and given my history with wifi, I just don't trust it to ever work properly :) so a wired backhaul is a must.

The only real reason for me wanting a mesh is to satify my "consumers" that complain about the spotty coverage, drop outs etc. Having multiple access points all joined to the same network will make that go away, since I can put an access point on the ground floor, and one of the first floor.

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Thinking about buying two of these:

Reviews seems good, and they can be set up into AP mode only

Although they require an APP to set up - surely it cannot be as bad as the one that D-link made.

Anyone have any experience with this model?

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I would actually prefer this, since my house is old and made of chicken wire mesh inside the walls :)

The only real reason for me wanting a mesh is to satify my "consumers" that complain about the spotty coverage, drop outs etc. Having multiple access points all joined to the same network will make that go away, since I can put an access point on the ground floor, and one of the first floor.
Then you will want to look at the AP solutions I mentioned first, not the consumer mesh solutions that use Wi-Fi as the backhual. With proper AP placement and configuration/tuning your devices should roam between the different APs without noticeable drops. Ubiquiti has their Unifi Design Center where you can plan out AP placements based on your floor plan and wall material. That tool is useful even if you decide to go with one of the other brands. :)

Like I said, you can get away with using PoE injectors if you don't want to get a PoE switch. Most of those brands I mentioned sell their own injectors. If you are on a stricter budget and don't need the latest and greatest, you can usually find good deals on at least Unifi stuff (they have been around longer in this space) on the used market. Just make sure to buy stuff products that are still supported as some people try to offload very old APs that are End-of-Life.

Although they require an APP to set up - surely it cannot be as bad as the one that D-link made.

If you connect them using wired backhaul instead of Wi-Fi backhaul, you probably don't want to put them in AP only mode as that will disable their routing functionality. You only want to use that mode when you already have another router that to want to use. :)

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
you probably don't want to put them in AP only mode
Why not?

I just want wireless access to my existing wired network that already have a router to the internet.

Also it seems like the Deco M4 does have wired-backhaul - so it ticks "all" my boxes except for the app requirement to set them up.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Why not?

I just want wireless access to my existing wired network that already have a router to the internet.

Also it seems like the Deco M4 does have wired-backhaul - so it ticks "all" my boxes except for the app requirement to set them up.
If you already have an existing router that you want to use, then you indeed want to use the AP mode. :)

Yes, it should probably work fine. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I'm sure you can find some proper reviews or testimonials if you look around a bit. :)

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I use a Zyxel nwa210ax / $130/ea and they come with an ac adapter or you can use poe. All APs have local admin by using a browser to the IP.

The whole app thing is for idiots that can't figure out the IP an AP gets through DHCP and for metrics on use. The app just finds the AP for you on your network based on the mac address and directs you to the setup page vs finding it yourself. Mesh is a marketing term and costs you money when searching for it exclusively. All you need to do is setup each AP without the same SSID and password to allow clients to switch automatically. If you want consolidated controls then you use a controller whether physical or web based for a fee.

Since you mentioned euros I suspect you're not in the US and the alternative is Omada which is cheaper in Europe. Same setup criteria as Zyxel but, there's a software controller you can DL and run off a PC or NAS that's on for managing them.

Lix

Aug 6, 2017

The app is OK, gets the job done. I have 3x units set up in AP mode. No complaints from the consumers

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Mesh is a marketing term and costs you money when searching for it exclusively. All you need to do is setup each AP without the same SSID and password to allow clients to switch automatically.
So you are saying that if I buy two identical AP's - set them up with exact same settings - it would give the same experience as a "mesh" - that is worth considering. Since I am going to use them wired anyway.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
So you are saying that if I buy two identical AP's - set them up with exact same settings - it would give the same experience as a "mesh" - that is worth considering. Since I am going to use them wired anyway.
Yes, Just set the channels on either end of the spectrum so the clients transition from one to the other and it will work better. Clients move from one AP to the other based on the signal strength. As long as there's not a ton of overlap in signal but just enough there shouldn't be any issues.

The one I'm using covers my place corner to corner though so, no need for more than a single AP but, there are options within the settings to "mesh" as well.

1698505396175.png

Controllers and kits just make it simple enough for non technical setup. Well, controllers make it easier for multiple AP configuration / management from a single GUI.

With the 210 I'm using I can hit max speeds of ~1.7gbps with an AX411 inside my laptop so, it's more than capable of performance if you have the clients and connect it to a 2.5GE port for the backhaul.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
I have three PoE wired back haul, enterprise class, dual band APs, all with the same SSID, but on different non-overlapping channels.
Clients seemly switch bands and APs as I roam throughout my home. Added benefit is when updating firmware on one AP, clients never loose connectivity.

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Make sure that the APs properly populate the Neighbor Report and support the other 802.11 features that improve roaming.