Recommend me a storage server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wrinkles88

May 1, 2018
I am looking to buy a prebuilt rack so I can serve all my media files. I currently have two computers with fractal design cases holding 8 hard drives in each, I have another external enclosure that holds 4 drives and lastly 4 single externals.

What I would like to do with the rackmount is hold most if not all of my hard drives in one place. My original plan was for it to just serve the files but someone said it might be enough to do all the leg work. So if possible I would like it to run Plex, Radar, and a torrent client. For Plex it will need to be able to do 4K to an AppleTV. If I could do all that I would be looking to replace my computer now which is an I7 4790K.

My current setup is just a bunch of disks connected with Drivepools on Windows 10. Most of my drives are Seagate 8tb archive or similar. The reason is I can get those in Canada the cheapest.

Now my first idea was to buy an HP P4500 but that’s only 12 bays, so I checked out eBay and there is a couple Supermicros that seem pretty good. Supermicro 1 Supermicro 2 Supermicro 3 Supermicro 4

The first is really cheap and I could get 3 of them for the same price as the other ones. The Supermicros all look the same to me except the raid or hba cards and the ram. Except the last one. I do not know why it’s cheaper compared to the others. I would like to continue using Drivepool so I don’t know what card I would need.

I hope I can some help with this.